Out of Death Comes New Life in 2012

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WM chapter.

It is often said that you should live every day to the fullest.  Over this winter break, that message hit me full force. 

One of my dearest family friends got really sick.  She had been battling cancer for years, but she had always won the battle, so I expected this time would be no different.  She had lived every day to the fullest.  She always used to tell me to try hard in school, and to better myself in any way I could.  Ms. Nettie Bailey, or Ms. Nettie as I called her, loved life.  She was a math teacher and she always did her utmost to help students.  Ms. Nettie lost the battle with cancer on Tuesday morning, January 3rd.  She lived to see 2012.  Although, she was one person, she made a difference in the lives of many people.  She helped whoever needed it, and always had an open heart and a beautiful spirit.  She influenced me in so many ways.

Ms. Nettie was a big advocate for educating the future, and every February at our church she’d produce a black history month presentation.  I’ve tried to continue this legacy of education by spreading the news to friends I have, tutoring others who may need my help, and making sure that I’m always learning about different cultures and people around me.  Ms. Nettie always made it a mission to give back to the community by doing Relay for Life and volunteering for various programs at church and in her sorority.  By helping with the homeless program at my church and doing various on campus activities such as UAID and Campus Kitchens, I know she would be proud.  Most importantly, Ms. Nettie was always gave the best effort in whatever pursuits she had, and encouraged children to do the same.  In the educational process here at William and Mary, I feel like every day comes with a new challenge, but I give my all like Ms. Nettie did in her years on this earth.  Last but not least, she motivated me to do what I love.  Writing has always been a passion of mine, and she told me that I should continue to pursue my dreams.  I know that in writing for Her Campus I’m fulfilling a part of my goals and aspirations, which would’ve made Ms. Nettie proud.

So Her Campus readers, I hope that Ms. Nettie’s message of perseverance, compassion for others, and bettering yourself and those around you hit home.  You should take the opportunities around you, and make the best of them.  If you like to write, go and take a writing course or join a magazine (like Her Campus).  If you like to play an instrument, join the symphony or make a band with your friends.  If you have an issue like environment and animal protection, join clubs that promote that cause and dedicate your free time and energy to it.  Also, take every day slowly and enjoy it.  There’s always an opportunity to learn something about yourself and those around you so really listen to what other people have to say.  Most importantly, give back to the community.  Share your talents to better the world around you.  Living life to the fullest is not only about doing all the things you put down on your bucket list, but also helping your fellow man and woman.  Everyone’s story is important, and all individuals have something to contribute to this world, and so readers, give all the people you encounter a chance without judging them before truly knowing them.  Also, listen to the people that have your best interest at heart because being an effective listener is essential to finding out things about yourself and the world around you. 

Ms. Nettie’s legacy lives on through the people she knew and loved and I hope it can live on through my readers.  She was one of the best role models a person could ask for because she always strove to better herself and those around her.  She committed to spreading her knowledge, wisdom, and love.  Even though the season of cheer ended with a devastating loss for me, I remember those things that Ms. Nettie taught me: Give your best at all times, treat those around you with respect, help someone in need when you can, listen to what other people have to say even when you don’t feel like it, have a positive outlook on life because you only have one life to live, and live everyday like it’s a holiday because you never know when your journey ends.  Even in her death, Ms. Nettie provides a message of life.  So make 2012, and the rest of your years, brighter and better.

I'm a fashion-obsessed Business major at William and Mary.   I'm currently studying abroad at the London College of Fashion!  I am the President of HC W&M!  I love the ocean, working out, and extreme couponing.  This summer I interned with Marie Claire in NYC-- my dream internship!   Get to know me more on my fashion/style blog, "All Dolled Up"--->  www.dylanmaureen.blogspot.com