Need A Study Break? 5 Netflix Shows to Watch

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WM chapter.

It happens to the best of us: you’ve been studying all day, writing papers, doing math and science problems and your brain is totally fried. You snuggle up in bed and grab your laptop; it’s Netflix time. Binge-watching Netflix is a part of every college student’s experience, but sometimes it is tough to decide on exactly what to watch. Here is a list of five suggestions from fellow students on what you should check out the next time you need to watch an episode…or 20.

1. 30 Rock

What could be better than watching Tina Fey for 20 minutes? Watching Tina Fey for 2 hours. This show provides a variety of humor from childish, crude jokes to sophisticated political humor. Tina Fey plays Liz Lemon, an unlucky-in-love TV writer who tries to have it all, and usually fails. Netflix currently has 6 seasons, averaging 20 episodes per season…AKA plenty of hours of good laughs and stress relief.

2. Bob’s Burgers

If you love Family Guy or American Dad, a great show to check out is Bob’s Burgers. Although Netflix only has the first two seasons, it’s worth it to invest in watching Bob’s Burgers. An animated show with mature humor, Bob’s Burgers focuses on a financially-troubled family attempting to run a burger joint below their apartment. The more you watch, the more you will fall in love with angst-y teenager Tina, fart-focused Gene, devious Louise, relatable-mom Linda, and good-at-heart Bob. 

3. Orange is the New Black

There may be only one season on Netflix, but everybody (and I mean everybody) is catching on to Orange is the New Black. Based on a memoir, it details the life of Piper Chapman, a woman imprisoned in a low security prison for a small crime she committed many years ago. It illustrates a variety of aspects of female prison life and don’t worry, there is plenty of drama (and maybe a few steamy scenes).

4. The Office

A class Netflix binge show, the office is perfect for any time any place. The Office combines comedy and romance, and never fails to lighten the mood. Whether it is Steve Carrell’s complete inability to be a responsible boss, or Jim and Pam’s adorable love story, The Office is the perfect show for anyone. Plus, there are eight seasons, giving you an endless amount of episodes to enjoy.

5. Gossip Girl

I tried to avoid it for years, but now I regret all of the years that I wasted not watching Gossip Girl. The perfect show for any girl, Gossip Girl encompasses everything from love and boys, to friendship and fantastic clothes. You will simply not be able to stop one you start watching (I blew through 6 seasons in less than two months!). 

I’m not saying you should avoid all responsibilities and watch TV all day, every day, but on those days when your brain is wiped and you just need to cuddle up under the blankets and watch Netflix, check these shows out!

(photo credit: flickr/.imeida)

Born and raised in Southern California. Loving the East Coast.