My Times with SASA Expressions

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WM chapter.

Over this weekend, I had the great experience of celebrating an annual event known as Expressions with South Asian Student Association better known as SASA.  I was initially really nervous about participating because I didn’t know a thing about Indian dancing.  When I say that… I really mean it!  The closest thing that I had attempted to do before was Bollywood dancing from the movie, Bride and Prejudice, and I’m sure younger readers were getting there dance on with the Cheetah Girls: One World.  Anyway, I felt that this opportunity was great, but basically out of my reach. 

The thing that changed my mind was the fact that many of my friends in SASA were participating in the event also, but again they had danced before!  After much convincing done by roommate and psychological pep talks from myself, I decided to go for it.  The biggest thing I had to lose was NOTHING, really.  So, I just said, “Alexis, this is it!  You can do this.  You can have some fun with friends, and get a kick out of learning a new style of dance!”  It was a pretty convincing argument, right?  I mean it’s great to have some Bollywood moves to pull out of your back pocket when you’re getting down on the dance floor.

So, I took the plunge, and it really paid off.  There were points where I doubted whether I could do it or not, but I felt that I couldn’t let myself or my friends down.  I knew from the first step that we practiced that it was going to be a personal challenge for me to learn the routine, but one that was supposed to be for fun!  I was able to talk to people that I had never met before, and learn some Indian phrases like the word for Indian, DESI!  I also got to learn moves that I had been trying to master myself after seeing last year’s Expressions program and NKD performances.  It was hard work for everyone, the Executive Board and the members of South Asian Student Association, but it really was a cool experience.  We were all working toward a common goal, trying to ensure that the event went off without a hitch and through teamwork we were able to get everything done.

My personal experience with the South Asian Student Association has been so rewarding!  I had so much fun hearing new songs, trying different foods, meeting new friends, and helping with an event that was so successful!  After long nights of performance practices, many ticket sales, and laughs to last a lifetime, we were all able to come together for one night to bring Expressions to the College of William and Mary.  I’m so happy to have played a small role for the Expressions event, and I hope this article has shown my lovely readers to try new things. Step outside of your comfort zone even if it is Indian dancing, bungee jumping, or trying a different flavor of ice cream.  Remember that the payoff is best when you do the unthinkable, see the unimaginable, and find the unforgettable thing called: TRIUMPH!