Meet the Costume Shop Ladies, Patricia Wesp and Mary Jo

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WM chapter.

Here at the College of William and Mary the Theatre Department puts on multiple shows each semester, all of which are not only impressionable by the actors’ performance and technicians’ designs, but also the impressionable images the audience leaves with.  One of the greatest strengths this department has resides in the Costume Department.  The Costume Department has dressed actors in nearly every imaginable time period, the most recent set for the play “The Rover” by Aphra Behm.  The play took place in a festival during the 1600s in Spain & Italy.  William and Mary’s upcoming show takes place primarily in Zürich, Switzerland in the First World War.  This is the setting for Tom Stoppard’s play, “Travesties”.
However before I dive into a discussion of the designs & creations for these shows, I believe it is necessary to learn about the creators and their thoughts on costumes and fashion.  In an interview with the Costume Designer Patricia Wesp and Costume Shop Manager Mary Jo Damon, I was able to undercover their ideas and thoughts. Their personalities shone through the interview where they were charming, informative, and delightfully witty.

What first intrigued you about costumes?
MJ:  I was struck by the amazing versatility of different fabrics on different bodies all doing different things.  You can say my fascination stems from dance.

Why dance and not the theatre?
MJ: Both of my girls dance, and I traded costumes for lessons. I sewed and designed stuff for their lessons and performances. They still dance, and I still help with their clothing. You can be surprised at how expensive the outfits are nowadays.
What interested you in being a Costume Shop Manager?
MJ: I think I was surprised there was a market at designing and constructing clothing, like sewing.  You get past the point of costumes.  You are constantly learning and making things from other things. “We need 18th century fabric. Well, we obviously don’t have that, so what do we do? Let’s go to a fabric store!” Learning is very intriguing.  “Why this dress? This Renaissance gown?”

What is your favorite time period and why?
MJ: I’m going to have to say the Tudor period.  It’s ‘bejeweled’ and glitzy.  The costumes are flattering to the female, not the male.  The men look like tanks.  Cod pieces make me laugh.  For a costumer, it’s really important to look at these things and be satisfied in the costumes being historically correct.  There are so many faults in the style or fabric that sometimes I laugh when I see them on TV.

In regards to fashion in today’s society, do you see any ‘fads’ that are not original and derived from past societies?
MJ: I’m not a follower of contemporary fashion.  I see elements that repeat, like details and accessories.  The 80’s are back!
PW: When you look on the catalogues from ‘Cold Water Creek’ or any upper class like stores and you look on their ‘T-Shirt’ collection, you notice there are a lot more colors available.  Colors where the names come from the 80’s, like ‘Watermelon Red’ or something absurd like that.  There’s a muted palate and a range of colors from the 80s. You have the Urban Camouflage, the tight, tight jeans, and generous portions on top with the shirts. 

What is a current fashion trend that annoys you? Is inventive?
PW: I’m done with tattoos.  I’m ready for that to be over, but that’s a choice.  It’s like the tattoo train has left the station, but there are people who still chase after it.  But that’s just me.
MJ: Shorts and heels.  It just doesn’t seem like it should go together.  And with ballroom dance clothing, there is so much lace and frills yet there’s barely enough clothing.  It’s like wearing a string bikini with rhinestones…if they’re not too big, that is.  A lot of things have become simpler, more comfortable, and have lower maintenance.

Can you tell me a little of who to get involved with William & Mary’s Costume Shop?
PW: Mostly you just need to walk through the door, like with most things in life.  However it needs to be consistent, like showing up at a rate of consistency.  We don’t assume the students know everything there is about clothing, costuming, and sewing.  We offer the experience to those who seek it.
MJ: That’s with everything, though.  It’s such a simple thing, to get involved.
PW:  At any workshop you make yourself known and you learn.  No matter what your level of experience is, we’ll make it work.
MJ:  It’s this kind of environment that’s really good.  Professional companies don’t do this.  They don’t offer free skills and knowledge to those who lack experience.  No one’s turned away. 

With all this in mind, I hope that you dear reader have struck up a fancy to join these lovely ladies in creating costumes and assisting the Theatre Department shows. It is remarkable on what you can learn in this shop, and the next time you find yourself wandering about Andrews Hall or the PBK why not take a little trip down to the Costume Shop? I’m sure they’d be happy to meet you.

Be sure to tune in on future interviews on costumes designs for the shows and the choices they made behind each sketch and sewed button. 

I'm a fashion-obsessed Business major at William and Mary.   I'm currently studying abroad at the London College of Fashion!  I am the President of HC W&M!  I love the ocean, working out, and extreme couponing.  This summer I interned with Marie Claire in NYC-- my dream internship!   Get to know me more on my fashion/style blog, "All Dolled Up"--->  www.dylanmaureen.blogspot.com