Mastering First Dates on Campus (Not as scary as you’d think!)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WM chapter.

First dates can be awkward, so why add to it by bringing your crush to the Saddler Center? There are a lot of great places on campus that make for really cute dates. I asked around and got some delightful ideas. So, whether you don’t have a car, or are just trying to stay on a budget, here are the top three most adorable (and affordable!) dates you and your guy should try at William and Mary.  Maybe one of them will be the recipe for your new romance!

1. S’mores on the Sunken Gardens. 
A warm s’more will keep the two of you toasty on a chilly night out at the Sunken Gardens!  Head out to Wawa or the Marketplace earlier in the day to get the marshmallows, chocolate, and graham crackers. Microwave the cracker and chocolate for seven seconds, then add the marshmallow and cook until it fluffs up. Place it in a plastic container to carry it while it’s still hot. Dress warmly! Depending on how long you stay out, it can get pretty cold at night. Large blankets are recommended so both of you can lie down and stargaze, and lastly, bring something to drink because s’mores can get pretty sticky!

Ingredients:

• Bag of marshmallows
  • Two chocolate bars
  • Box of graham crackers
  • Blanket
  • Sweatshirt or cozy cardigan
  • Two bottled waters
  • napkins

2. Donuts on the Dock
Make breakfast more exciting by sitting side by side with your crush on the dock watching the sunrise.  Pick a weekend morning for the two of you to get up early, (AH! Scary, I know) and head out to the dock. It’s located behind the Botetourt Complex and overlooks the peaceful Lake Matoka Pond. Bring a box of your favorite donuts to munch on, as well as orange juice or Naked Mango smoothie. It might be a good idea to bring along a cup of coffee if you need help staying awake, but try to avoid it unless you want your kisses to smell like Starbucks. The two of you can snuggle together to keep warm, and play truth or dare, or bust out the cards until the sun comes up. Bring a camera because this really is a beautiful sight, and you’ll definitely want to capture the moment!

Ingredients:

• Donuts
  • Naked Smoothies
  • Deck of cards
  • Camera
  • Hat and scarf
  • Coffee (optional)

3. Cider in CW
Take it slow with a romantic evening stroll down DoG Street. Stop at a coffee shop, or tavern and grab a steaming cup of cider the two of you can sip while wandering around CW (it will also keep your fingers warm, perfect for any hand-holding that happens later in the evening…) You can keep the fun going by playing I Spy in the dark, or try a flirty game of flashlight tag. Find a bench and people watch, or if you two are feeling really adventurous, swap colonial ghost stories!

Ingredients:

• Comfortable shoes
  • Flashlights

Best of luck ladies, and hopefully our gentlemen readers are encouraged to try these ideas out on their future dates!

Alexandra is a Junior at The College of William and Mary and has been a huge supporter of the Her Campus team since her Freshman year. She has been a Chapter Adviser and budget coordinator, however her favorite job has been contributing articles to the site. Among writing, her other hobbies include dancing, playing the viola, trying out new sports with her IM team, organizing social events for her sorority, and of course-storytelling. Alex is known to be as fun and feisty as her leopard print wardrobe.
I'm a fashion-obsessed Business major at William and Mary.   I'm currently studying abroad at the London College of Fashion!  I am the President of HC W&M!  I love the ocean, working out, and extreme couponing.  This summer I interned with Marie Claire in NYC-- my dream internship!   Get to know me more on my fashion/style blog, "All Dolled Up"--->  www.dylanmaureen.blogspot.com