Living in Limerick: Dressing for the Irish Weather

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WM chapter.

This semester I am studying abroad at the University of Limerick in Limerick, Ireland. While studying abroad is fun and exciting, it also means a lot of changes from what I’m used to. One of the first major adjustments I had to face in Ireland was learning to dress for the Irish weather!

Irish winters are very different from winters back home. It virtually never snows in Ireland, and the temperatures don’t really drop below freezing. What you can count on, however, is cold rain. Lots and lots of cold rain. The average day here is about 40-45°F, with rain showers throughout the day, even if the sun is shining. Living in Williamsburg taught me to always carry around an umbrella, and be prepared for rain at any moment. But that only does you so much good in Ireland, since it is usually too windy for an umbrella to be much help. Instead, it’s far more important to be dressed appropriately. There’s nothing worse than being cold and soggy while trying to enjoy the beauty of Irish castles and rolling hills or attempting to do some local shopping in the Limerick Milk Market.

Here are the fashion lessons I’ve learned during my first week in Limerick that help keep me warm, dry and happy:

The most important thing is a good solid raincoat.

In Ireland, if you’re not wearing a waterproof shell on top, everything you’re wearing could be soaked through within minutes.  You can pile on layers of warm fuzzy sweaters, but once these soak up water and get hit with some wind, you’ll be even colder than you would be without them. For this reason, it’s important to layer for warmth, and then throw a rain coat on top.

I prefer a trench or pea coat-style rain jacket for maximum coverage. I also made sure to get one with a hood. When the wind renders umbrellas useless, a hood or a hat is a must for keeping the rain off your head and out of your eyes.

Never underestimate the importance of appropriate footwear.

While the girls of Williamsburg have made a fashion trend of cute and colorful rain boots, these aren’t really a popular footwear choice among the Irish students, despite their appropriateness for the weather. Besides, rain boots are kind of drab to wear all day, every day, and can really kill an outfit if you’re dressing up for a night on the town. They’re also not the most comfortable for doing large amounts of walking in.

Instead, I opted for a cute pair of combat boots. These are all I’ve been wearing since landing in Ireland. Even on the off chance that it’s not actually raining, the ground is always still wet and muddy from the previous day’s rain. Combat boots are sturdy and watertight, and also hold up to long periods of walking. As an added bonus, they can complement a casual and practical style or add an edge to a dressier look!

Lastly, there’s the question of what daily fashion choices to make. One of the first things I learned here is that cold, clammy jeans are the worst thing.

A pair of blue jeans and a top may be the go-to choice for casual fashion in America, but here in the land of constant cold rain, I found this fashion staple to be less than ideal. Jeans soak up water and take forever to dry. Wet jeans cling to your skin, and are extremely uncomfortable. Many of the Irish students here simply choose to wear sweatpants or more waterproof track pants throughout the day. However, I’m still not accustomed to their level of casual dress. I preferred to find ways to stay warm and dry while still looking cute and fashionable!

My solution: layered tights! Whether sight-seeing, going to class, or going out for a night at the pubs, I’ve ditched the jeans in favor of skirts and dresses with two layers of tights. I wear a solid bold color underneath and then a contrasting or black patterned pair on top that allow the bottom layer to show through. Two pairs of tights are surprisingly warm and don’t get nearly as soggy and clammy as jeans. They’re also a fun way to show off your style and brighten up an outfit!

Check back later for more tales of Living in Limerick as I update you on my adventures abroad!

photo credit: flickr/Premshree Pillai 

Julia O'Connell is an English major and Linguistics minor at the College of William & Mary. Her love of reading has inspired her to pursue a career in the field of editing and publishing. Aside from reading, her hobbies include ballroom dancing, crafting, and baking with friends.