Let’s Be Real: Five Signs that He’s Your Perfect Match

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WM chapter.

A while ago, I made a non-negotiable list, which gave my top 10 traits that are absolutely necessary in a spouse and for a relationship.  Some things that I included were honesty, appearance, and family/friend compatibility (feel free to check it out if you haven’t already)!  Another thing that I would recommend doing to determine whether a person is romantically right or wrong for you is to simply gage how you feel when you’re with your potential boyfriend or girlfriend.  As much as some people frown on romantic films, they do give us some helpful hints in the ways of love!  Five signs that I think are the most telling of the affairs of the heart involve these main things:

1. He makes you genuinely happy.  You look forward to seeing or talking to the person in question all the time.  Of course, you still want your freedom and space as an individual, but he or she adds some spice into your life.  He makes you laugh like no one else can and does everything he can to put a smile on your face.  If his compliments make you melt inside, I would give you the go-ahead!  I personally love a nice compliment, but again ensure that it’s something genuine and that he doesn’t have some sort of ulterior motive.  I get suspicious if a guy compliments me too much or when it’s something inappropriate so keep on the lookout for what I’d call phony compliments or Fauxments!  (Hopefully, you will make him happy too!)
  2. If you have fun doing anything and everything with the person that’s a really good sign.  He can take you to get a three course meal, on a walk through the part, or just invite you over to watch a movie and relax on the couch and you’d be just as happy as long as it’s with him.  If you think the activity takes more precedence than the person then there is a problem.  One of the biggest signs for Mr. Right is that you are satisfied with just being with the person in the moment. 
  3. He is respectful.  I am a pretty traditional girl so I would suggest letting him open doors for you and as my grandmother and mom would say, “Let him pay for the date, especially if he invited you!”  I just think these are clear indications that he respects you and cares for you.  Remember girls, a respectful person makes for a good partner.  Also, you want him to respect your family, close friends, and overall values. 
  4. You can envision yourself with him.  This is a hard one for me because it involves looking ahead into the future.  If you are looking for a long term commitment with a guy, you should be able to see yourself building a life with him.  If you want a short term relationship, then ignore this sign and have fun.  As much as you love your family and friends (and their advice), you are the only one who can determine who is right for you.
  5. You have time and energy to dedicate to a relationship.  As much as you may like a guy and his qualities, the timing may not be right.  If you struggle to find enough hours for academics, extracurricular activities, a job, and career preparation then it may not be the right time to have a serious relationship.  You may have time to go on a few dates here and there, but a serious relationship involves emotions and is a huge time commitment.  Make sure the boy you’re considering also has the ability to give you the attention you deserve also.  If you can tell that he’s pretty swamped with life too just keep him as a good friend.  Who knows, maybe in the future you can take it to the next step!

I hope these signs have helped you in some way!  Follow your heart and look for the signs because they are always there!  Good luck to you my Her Campus hotties and leave any comments or questions if you want to chat!

Harper is a junior at the College of William and Mary, majoring in Psychology and minoring in Marketing. A DC-Area native, she serves as Co-President at Her Campus William and Mary. She spends her summers interning in Marketing. This past summer was spent in New York City working at OppenheimerFunds as a Digital Strategy Intern, and the year before at Gannett working as a Marketing and Promotions Intern in the Social Commerce Division. She hopes to slowly accomplish a few things on her list of ridiculous dreams including hugging a walrus and voicing a named Disney character in a movie.Blog || LinkedIn || Twitter