How to Stay Healthy While Studying Abroad

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WM chapter.

This past summer, I could not have been more excited to study abroad in Florence, Italy. I was so ready to dive right into a whole new world. However, as happy as I was, I was nervous about how I would manage my health and wellness in a foreign environment. The thought of not having access to a gym and being surrounded by absolutely delicious gelato, pizza, pasta, panninis and pastries did make me a bit anxious about my waistline. Of course, I was not going to deprive myself of fun and “guilty pleasure” types foods, but I did need to have a plan of action to make sure that I would maintain a hold of my weight and health. Here are some healthy tips for anyone who is studying abroad and finds that they are in the same excited-nervous limbo that I was in.

1. Moderation is Key: While studying abroad, an important aspect of cultural immersion is trying new foods. Each country and city has its renowned staple foods and culinary specialties that must be given a taste. However, depending on the level of healthiness of the food product, it is key to watch your intake on certain dishes. My basic rule of thumb was to allow myself only one splurge dish per day. By not banning delectable foods, it eliminated a buildup of cravings that would have led to me binge uncontrollably. Moderation allowed me to get my “fix” without making me feel guilty or out of control.
  2. Take Advantage of the Market: Large-scale markets, prevalent all over Europe, became my “Culinary Disneyworld” when I was abroad. These markets are often the sizes of warehouses and have everything you could imagine in terms of foods. There, you can find pastries, meats, cheeses, eggs, veggies, fruits, breads, seafood, fresh herbs, local wines, condiments and more from local vendors. Not only is the food extremely fresh and preservative-free, but also it’s delicious and super affordable! It is a win-win! I would go to the market daily to buy fresh food for cooking at least one meal each day. This also prevents you from buying food in bulk, which you might snack on incessantly. Food spoils fast, which is why you have to go buy food regularly. An added bonus is that this forces you to walk to the market each day. 
  3. Exploring by Foot and Bike: I think that it is safe to say that people study abroad and travel because they are entranced by the thought of exploring gorgeous places. Your eyes want to be opened to the beauty of nature, architecture and all that surrounds you. Often times, I would go running outdoors. This was a great way for me to get my exercise, while exploring. It was typically these runs that I would find cool places that I might not have noticed otherwise. I would get so distracted that I would lose track of time. This made my exercise fun and go by fast. You not have to run either. You can easily explore by walking. You can always bike too, and most Europeans cities are very bike-friendly!
  4. Watch Proportions: Speaking from experience, portion control is difficult. There is no harm in trying various foods, healthy or not. By controlling your proportions, rather than overeating, you are making weight management very doable. It is never good to eat to the point where you are in a food coma. Eat enough to alleviate your hunger without feeling stuffed. Eat slowly and take your time because it will make you more aware of when you are actually full. Also, drink plenty of water! Half of the time that we think that we are hungry, we are actually thirsty!
  5. Monitor Alcohol Intake: With the lower drinking age in foreign countries and the more “lax” alcohol environment, it is a give in that students are probably going to drink and go out while abroad. With that said, don’t let alcohol make up half of your dietary intake. There is zero nutritional value in alcohol and most drinks, such as beer and mixed cocktails, are calorie-heavy. Before you know it, the number of drinks you have had racks up and you will probably have had more calories than you would have liked. Add drunken eating to this and you will have likely overindulged. Do this routinely and weight will pack on quickly. Drink responsibly and limitedly and your waistline and wallet will be thanking you!
  6. Check Your Mentality: Avoid having the mentality that you are going to eat whatever you want, whenever you want, with little control. Do not be anal about it, but just keep things in check. Things become much harder if you tell yourself, “Forget it! I will lose any weight I gain later.” This is because later, you will likely add stress to your plate by wanting to get back to your weight prior to your trip. I know, from my past, that it is much easier to lose weight than gain weight. On average, it takes a week to lose roughly 1-2 pounds. It will take continual work and patience to peel off bulk weight gained. Always remember to still treat yourself though!

Harper is a junior at the College of William and Mary, majoring in Psychology and minoring in Marketing. A DC-Area native, she serves as Co-President at Her Campus William and Mary. She spends her summers interning in Marketing. This past summer was spent in New York City working at OppenheimerFunds as a Digital Strategy Intern, and the year before at Gannett working as a Marketing and Promotions Intern in the Social Commerce Division. She hopes to slowly accomplish a few things on her list of ridiculous dreams including hugging a walrus and voicing a named Disney character in a movie.Blog || LinkedIn || Twitter