Healthy Super Bowl 101

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WM chapter.

In just a few days one of America’s favorite athletic events of the year, NFL Super Bowl XLVII, will take place, as the Baltimore Ravens and the San Francisco 49ers go head-to-head. In addition to our love for the all-American sport of football, there is everyone’s excitement over the commercials, the half-time show and over course, the Super Bowl parties! With such celebratory Super Bowl festivities, comes the need for food to be up to par! The harsh reality is that this is one of the biggest calorie fests of the year for Americans. Most football fans hold traditional “game food” such as hotdogs, greasy pizza, fries and burgers dear to their hearts. For those of you trying to take a healthier spin on things, here is the skinny on what food to eat or serve for your Healthy Super Bowl fun!

Snacks:

Craving Salty?

·      1/4 cup hummus, carrot sticks

·      1/4 peanut butter and celery sticks

·      Reduced-fat Wheat Thins and Pico de Gallo

·      1/2 slice whole-wheat toast brushed with 1/2 tsp olive oil, topped with 1 tbsp Greek yogurt and a mixture of 3 tbsp diced tomatoes with a pinch of chopped garlic and basil

·      1/4 cup black beans combined with 1 tbsp salsa, 1 tbsp cottage cheese and 1/2 tbsp guacamole; savor with 4 celery stalks

·      1/3 cup 1/2-inch-thick potato slices tossed with 1 teaspoon olive oil and a pinch of finely chopped rosemary, baked at 450 for 30 minutes

Craving Sweet?

·      Fat-free Greek yogurt, 2 tsp honey, 1/3 cup granola

·      1/2 banana rolled in 1 tbsp frozen semisweet chocolate chips

·      1 mini bag of Smart popcorn topped with a spritz of butter spray and 1 tsp sugar

·      1 cup apple slices dipped in 2 tbsp caramel topping

·      Fruit Kebabs with a side of Greek yogurt or fat-free whipped cream for dipping

·      Frozen Greek Yogurt

·      Sugar free Jello

Meal Food:

·      Salmon or Turkey burgers with gorgonzola cheese and with a whole wheat bun and lots of veggies

·      Baked sweet potatoes with chives, a little shredded cheese and a hint of sour cream

·      Veggie Pizza and get wheat crust if possible (homemade or take-out)

·      Grilled or Baked Chicken Wings, NOT fried! (opt for lemon-pepper sauce rather than Ranch or BBQ sauce)

Beverages:

·      Water is always the BEST option! (you can even add some lemon and lime and put a hint of cane sugar to give it a kick)

·      Carbonated Flavor Water is a better option than soda!

·      If you MUST have soda pop, opt for the Diet versions

·      For 21-year olds: The Perfect Cocktail=1.5 oz lime-flavored vodka, 1.5 oz light lemonade, 1.5 oz tonic water, Juice of 1/4 lime (Vodka is one of the lowest calorie liquors and is a much better option than high carb beers!)

·      For 21-year olds: if you MUST have beer, go for the low calorie types such as Yuengling Light Lager (99 calories per bottle) or Sam Adam’s Light Lager (119 calories per bottle)

Score a TOUCHDOWN with these healthy football options this Super Bowl!! 

Harper is a junior at the College of William and Mary, majoring in Psychology and minoring in Marketing. A DC-Area native, she serves as Co-President at Her Campus William and Mary. She spends her summers interning in Marketing. This past summer was spent in New York City working at OppenheimerFunds as a Digital Strategy Intern, and the year before at Gannett working as a Marketing and Promotions Intern in the Social Commerce Division. She hopes to slowly accomplish a few things on her list of ridiculous dreams including hugging a walrus and voicing a named Disney character in a movie.Blog || LinkedIn || Twitter