Griffin Glamour: Pre-Holiday Dressing

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WM chapter.

Don’t let looming finals cause your wardrobe to suffer as the semester comes to a close. There are still ways to look stylish and studious during exams, and simply sophisticated once the holidays hit and we can finally relax…

My favorite thing to wear to get in a festive spirit is sequins, or really anything that sparkles. Obviously too much bling bling may not be the ideal outfit for “Swemming,” but you can certainly add subtle touches of shimmer to any ensemble. Nail polish is one of the easiest ways to do just that; I love a glittery silver or gold to spice up an otherwise simple look. If you want to get more into this trend, try adding an entire sparkly piece into an outfit. A sequin skirt looks really chic with a chambray button-down, tights, and riding boots, and a glittery top can look just as exam-ready with a simple cardigan, skinny jeans, and ballet flats. Once holiday parties start popping up, dare to wear even more sparkle and shine on a classy cocktail dress paired with tights and patent heels.

Another look that simply says “holiday” is flannel. You can totally rock a plaid shirt without looking lumberjack-y and instead make it look effortlessly cool. Make sure the plaid you pick is simple with classic colors, and not too many of them. A red and black buffalo check is timeless with dark wash skinny jeans, moccasins, and simple jewelry. Blackwatch tartan is a more dressy plaid that would look fantastic with those same skinny jeans tucked into riding boots, and a blazer to top off the look. Think Rugby Ralph Laurenand your flannel will be foolproof.

Something that I’ve recently become obsessed with are vests. Puffy down vests lend a more sporty vibe when thrown over a cable knit sweater and jeans, while faux fur adds a decidedly luxe feel to the same genre of outfit. Vests are great for unpredictable Williamsburg weather, and look fabulous over everything from a lightweight Oxford shirt to a thick wool sweater.

My last finals favorite is tights. A switch from simple black to a more bold color or pattern can totally transform a plain sweater dress into a brand new look. Thick knit tights are more casual and look great with rugged-style boots. Solid tights in fun colors like purple or mustard should be paired with really simple pieces so they stand out on their own. Patterned tights can range from more subdued to dressy depending on the pattern, but a medium-scale open-knit or lace pair can be pretty versatile and paired with wool skirts as well as party dresses.

Hopefully these ideas will inspire sprucing up a typical look to make it more festive during a time when holiday cheer is needed most. Good luck on finals, W&M CollegiettesTM and happy holidays!

Gabrielle is a senior at the College of William & Mary and is a biology major with a premed focus. She is President of Her Campus W&M for the 2012-2013 school year, and was formerly a writer and Fashion & Beauty Editor. Other than Her Campus Gabrielle is a member of Delta Gamma, the undergrad student representative for one of W&M's college planning committees, and a brand ambassador for British clothing and lifestyle brand Jack Wills. She loves summering in Nantucket and doing her dog's hair, and her guilty pleasure is watching cheeky British reality show The Only Way Is Essex.