Freshman Year Katy Perry Style

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WM chapter.

You always hear the same cliché statements about freshman year in college. You’ll make some new friends, go through new experiences, absorb new knowledge…and maybe even gain new pounds (yes, there is a high chance of that happening). All this is true, but, no one explains freshman year better than Katy Perry in her hit song, “Last Friday Night.” Those embarrassing pictures you posed for ending up on Facebook, showing off your dance moves on a table, waking up with a mark on your neck, and being confused as to whether it’s a hickey or a bruise, all have the potential to happen to anyone, especially those newly arriving on campus.

As a freshman, you will without a doubt go through some unbearably awkward and embarrassing situations and moments. It may be a morning that you wake up late for your 9 am freshman seminar, and power walk to class (no, you will never be that one person sprinting down the Sunken Gardens), and get to class and realize you have a hole right in the crotch of your leggings.  Or it may be that one (or two, or seven) texts you send at 2 am to that cute guy you accidently made out with last weekend.  Or it may be that horrible hook up you had, but came out of with a hilarious story, or shameful scar on your neck.  Trust me, you will go through at least one or two situations similar to these (Because, unfortunately, every single one of these examples happened to me.)

Each time, I was utterly mortified and wondered how my friends still wanted to be associated with me.
But I finally realized that all my friends were freshman girls too…doing the same exact thing. Well, maybe not the exact same thing, but, for me, comparing all of our week’s adventures over Sunday morning brunch always resulted in feeling more reassured about myself and my choices. They all had usually done something equally as funny or humiliating, and each one of us survived freshman year in one piece, without any lasting social damage (surprisingly).

So, prepare yourself. Your first year at college will result in multiple uncomfortable circumstances, but hey, at least you can use the excuse, “I’m just a freshman,” and your behavior will eventually be forgotten about (that’s what I’m praying for).  College is all about trying new things and making mistakes, right? As the new kids on campus, you are the only ones who posses this magical “free pass.” Personally, I’m hoping this extends a little into sophomore year.  Although, “I’m just a sophomore,” doesn’t sound quite as reasonable.  And no matter how embarrassed you may feel this year, don’t let it stop you from having fun.  Last year (my freshman year) turned out to be one of the best years of my life, and like Katy said, “I’m pretty sure it ruled.”

Lydia is a senior at the College of William & Mary. She is an American Studies major with a Psychology minor.  Lydia is the Editor-in-Chief for Her Campus: William & Mary, maintains an active role in her sorority, and works at a frozen yogurt shop. This summer Lydia was an editorial intern at The Daily Meal in New York City. 
I'm a fashion-obsessed Business major at William and Mary.   I'm currently studying abroad at the London College of Fashion!  I am the President of HC W&M!  I love the ocean, working out, and extreme couponing.  This summer I interned with Marie Claire in NYC-- my dream internship!   Get to know me more on my fashion/style blog, "All Dolled Up"--->  www.dylanmaureen.blogspot.com