Favorite Foods for the Fourth

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WM chapter.

So the fourth of July is right around the corner (a little under two weeks to be exact)!! And I know everyone loves to think about what to do, what to wear, who to hang with, but the most important thing to plan is WHAT TO EAT! I’m a girl who loves to grub and so I think that there are some essentials to make a cookout a classic success!

1. For starters, you NEED hamburgers and hotdogs! They are delicious and easy to make! Just start your grills and dish out the delicious dogs and burgers. Everyone will love them! (after all they are a classic) If you want to reinvent the classic there are things such as bacon-wrapped hotdogs LOL! You can even add spinach lettuce on the burger and try some spicy mustard and fried onion strips on top of your patty!
  2. Baked Beans are also a must in the world of great Fourth of July meals. I love the way my mom cooks hers! To make them sweet, you can put a bit of molasses in them. A hint of mustard and some onions will also do the trick to make some delicious baked beans. For the meat lovers, you can also put some shredded beef to add the extra flavor!
  3. Potato Salad is pretty tasty too! You don’t have to make this homemade, but in my experience it does taste better when its home cooking! My dad normally makes this tasty dish, but I know you can find some ridiculously yummy recipes online for this fourth favorite!
  4. You can look out for any vegetarians by serving some fresh corn! Corn is also really good and not too heavy! You can grill it and it goes well with ribs, steak, or hotdogs and burgers!
  5. Some alternative meats include steak or ribs. On cookout days, these are always welcomed dishes. They might require a little more work than a simple burger or hot dog, but it is well worth it!! Steaks obviously are a bit pricier than the other items, but they are perfect for a party of say 4 to 6 people. For a larger amount of people (say 20 to 50 people), I would definitely stick to hotdogs and hamburgers!
  6. We can’t exclude the desserts right! The classic American apple pie will grab anyone’s fancy! You can be a modern day Betty Crocker! Good pies can be found in the frozen food aisles, but for pros you can make homemade! Some sugar and chocolate chip cookies are also great for a large party and they often go on without a hitch! You can even do a fancy Fourth of July cake that you can grab from any grocery store around the corner or try your baking skills! Ice cream can be served with the pie or the cake and will be a great addition to cope with the heat waves!
  7. You might want to think about drinks too! Sodas or fruit punch is normally good for kids! To give a little bit more sophisticated, you could make some lemonade or tea. You can even combine the tea and lemonade and make an Arnold Palmer!

Whatever you serve, my lovely readers, I am sure it will be a hit! Whether you picnic on the beach, throw a cookout in the backyard, grill in the park, or have a Happy Fourth house party, just remember to have fun! Remember what the day is about and spend it with those you love, whether it is with family or friends! And as you sip your Arnold Palmer’s delight in your lovely day! Happy Early Fourth!

Harper is a junior at the College of William and Mary, majoring in Psychology and minoring in Marketing. A DC-Area native, she serves as Co-President at Her Campus William and Mary. She spends her summers interning in Marketing. This past summer was spent in New York City working at OppenheimerFunds as a Digital Strategy Intern, and the year before at Gannett working as a Marketing and Promotions Intern in the Social Commerce Division. She hopes to slowly accomplish a few things on her list of ridiculous dreams including hugging a walrus and voicing a named Disney character in a movie.Blog || LinkedIn || Twitter