Fall in Love with Fall Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WM chapter.

There are some of you wonderful William and Mary students, who will be staying in the CW during Fall Break.  You may miss your family and friends who will be away during your stay, but don’t be discouraged because you could fall in love with fall break.  This is how you do it!

1. Fall in love with fashion.  What’s the best thing to do when you’re alone on campus?  Go shopping, silly!  We have so many great stores from the Prime Outlets to Marshalls to the stores at New Town.  The list goes on and on and on.  You have the privilege of having a huge amount of free time on your hands, so why not use it to treat yourself to a fabulous wardrobe?  You can give yourself a fashion fix and have your friends feeling your fab clothing.  Not only that, you can post your new looks on Facebook and Twitter to show all that your friends are missing during their dull days of Fall Break.
  2. Fall in love with food.  Now, I know I’m not the only one who thinks and dreams of food more than the average person should.  Why not seize this opportunity to go around and feast on the foods that the Burg has to offer?  Try the new burger joint in New Town or the Asian bistro place in Monticello Marketplace.  Go to Extraordinary Cupcakes and get one of the tasty treats that you have been denying yourself since freshman year.  Take the leap of food faith and feast!  You don’t even have to go that far.  If you want to stay close to campus try or return to the many Colonial Williamsburg favorites like Aromas, Seasons, and Blue Talon. 
  3. Fall in love with philanthropy.  Yes I know this word doesn’t start with an “f”, but it’s just as important (if not more so) as food and fashion.  Although there is time for fun, you can always find things to do that will help the community.  There are numerous churches and organizations in the Williamsburg area that participate in many community outreach programs.  Do your research to help decide which cause is best for you.  You will feel 100 million times better about yourself if you give back rather than just treating yourself.  Give a little and you’ll get a lot in return!
  4. Fall in love with freedom.    You have the ability to do just about anything you want (well, don’t do anything that you may regret).  You don’t have to fret about midterm exams for five days!  Enjoy it.  You can take the nerdy route and read books that you’ve been denying yourself since the beginning of the semester or catch up on beloved shows like Glee, Scandal, X-Factor, and of course, the soap operas.  Okay, maybe not the soap operas, but you get the point.  Do something that you love and relax so that you can be rejuvenated for classes!
  5. Fall in love.  For me this would be a long shot, but for many of you it’s not.  While you’re chilling here during Fall Break, there will be many other students on campus as well.  Use the opportunity to get to know people that you’ve seen around, but never had the chance to talk to.  Maybe that cute guy in Sociology will be staying on campus and you can have a “study session” to discuss the social problems of today (over coffee in Swem of course).  If you see someone sitting alone at lunch, ask if you can join them.  Typically, most William and Mary students are friendly, so the chances are they won’t say no to you joining them.  We all have to eat right?  Why not eat together?  Becoming friends is the first step to falling in love.  At the very least, you can have an extra friend to hang out with for the rest of the year!

Whatever you do, fall in love with fun!  You deserve a break, I deserve a break, and we all deserve a break.  So make the best of Fall Break.  Fall in love with yourself if anything.  Figure out what makes you happy, especially during the chaotic times of midterms.  You will need this time to chill so enjoy and #fallinlovewithfallbreak!!

Harper is a junior at the College of William and Mary, majoring in Psychology and minoring in Marketing. A DC-Area native, she serves as Co-President at Her Campus William and Mary. She spends her summers interning in Marketing. This past summer was spent in New York City working at OppenheimerFunds as a Digital Strategy Intern, and the year before at Gannett working as a Marketing and Promotions Intern in the Social Commerce Division. She hopes to slowly accomplish a few things on her list of ridiculous dreams including hugging a walrus and voicing a named Disney character in a movie.Blog || LinkedIn || Twitter