Dressing Like Vogue, College-Style

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WM chapter.

In those rare moments I find myself with free time here at the College of William and Mary, I flip through the pages of a fashion magazine or weave about websites and gaze at pictures of models, or more specifically, their outfits.  I imagine myself wearing them and contemplate how the fabric would feel, how heavy or light it would be, what kind of accessories would work best, and more…yet despite all my day-dreaming it all boils down to one fundamental question: where can I get this at a reasonable price?

Let’s be honest here.  Most of the clothing in the magazines are out of the normal and affordable price range. Sure, that Red Strapless Print Chiffon Evening Dress Mila Kunis wore to 2011 SAG Awards Premiere is a ‘bargain’, but I personally consider $20 over $170 for a dress a true bargain.  To those fashionista reporters, please consider your audience; you break my heart each time you reveal the price for a desirable outfit.  I can feel my soul slither away when my eyes alight onthe outrageous price for a gorgeous dress, shirt, bag, or shoes. Surely there must be another alternative to this pricey route of being fashionable?
Look to the provided picture on the right.  Seems like a simple outfit: simple accessories, basic colors and patterns that can easily be paired withotherarticles of clothing, neutral but flashy nails that gives the ensemble a little “edgeYet to achieve this outfit, one must possess almost every article and accessory pictured. The little details are what make the simple outfit stylishIt has become more difficult to find good quality items at an affordable price. Especially with the current economy, it is a challenge for college students to assemble the wardrobe they want.Factoring in all the textbooksand basic school supplies required for our higher-level education, most students have a limited budget for fashionable clothing- especially if the clothing is pricey, as it normally is nowadays. For some of us, it comes down to food and clothes and we all know which one trumps the other.
So what choices do we, the starving & aspiring fashionista college students of this new decade, have? Either we can simplify the outfits or shop at a place that offers less expensive deals and steals, like Forever XXI or H&M.

Choice A                                                               Choice B

Great, right? But wait! What if your style doesn’t match the pictures above? There is still hope. Another option has yet to be revealed, and it is comparable to a diamond in the rough. I was unaware of its potential for the couple years I have been here at William and Mary, however now that I know of its existence I feel it is absolutely necessary that you should learn about it as well.  Now, before I divulge to you, dear reader, this alternative choice, I will list its many strengths:

1. There are many articles of clothing found in this place.  If there is something you have specifically sought for and haven’t found, chances are there will be at least two itemsthat share similarities with orclosely resemble the desired article of clothing and/or accessory.
  2. There is an unbelievable variety of clothing, shoes, and accessories.  This provides you the chance to create fashionable outfits on the spot –sometimes even ones that are unimaginablebeforehand!
  3. The locations of these fabulous places are very convenient, as they can be found near campus.  Some places are even within walking distance of William & Mary’s campus, a definite plus for those who don’t have a car.
  4. The prices are affordable.  You can buy several articles of clothing.  You will actually be able to breathe when paying the cashier! Relax, it is a safe place to swipe your card or open your wallet.

Have I stirred your curiosity? Captured your desire to know what this wondrous alternative may be? Well be baffled no more, for here it is: a thrift store. 

That’s right, Choice C– a THRIFT STORE!

Surprised? You’re not the first. I was too! Just remember the advantages I listed and don’t judge. For the creative and prudent fashion-crazed college student who can see the possibilities and potentials of choice C, you are in luck. If you didn’t know already, there are multiple thrift stores near our good ol’ college.  That’s right, there is:

1. Goodwill
  2. 1260 Richmond Road, Williamsburg, VA 23185
  3. I Like Your Style
  4. 5251 John Tyler Hwy #19, Williamsburg, VA 23185
  5. Children’s Hospital-Kings
  6. 218 Monticello Avenue, Williamsburg, VA 23185
  7. DAV (Disabled American Veterans) Thrift Store
  8. 440 Merimac Trail, Williamsburg, VA 23185
  9. Plato’s Closet
  10. 12551 Jefferson Avenue, Unit 235, Newport News, VA 23602

With some scavenging, creativity, and a little bit of luck, your next outfit combination could resemble the picture below: edgy, creative, fashionable, and most importantly, individualistic.

In the end, finding clothing that channels the fashionista inyou for a decent price is what’s important.  It’s crucial to always remain true to yourself, whether you express it through make-up, clothing, fashion, and more. On the other hand,there’s no harm in being bold and adventurous with your style. What can be harmful is how you wear the clothing, and in specific cases what you wear the outfit for.  Remember, your sense of style reflectsyou, and your clothes help others to construct or conceptualize your very essence.How you dress really influences the impression you make on other people.   

So, who do you want to be, dear fashionista?
~C.M.

I'm a fashion-obsessed Business major at William and Mary.   I'm currently studying abroad at the London College of Fashion!  I am the President of HC W&M!  I love the ocean, working out, and extreme couponing.  This summer I interned with Marie Claire in NYC-- my dream internship!   Get to know me more on my fashion/style blog, "All Dolled Up"--->  www.dylanmaureen.blogspot.com