College packing: Items you may not think you’ll need

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WM chapter.

I remember being so overwhelmed when I first thought about packing for college, I was simultaneously worried I would forget everything I needed and bring too much! Honestly, I learned a lot the first semester about what I would need at W&M. Here are things you may not think you’ll need, but I promise you’ll use all year!

1. Rainboots and an umbrella. It rains way more in Williamsburg than you might think. Fall and spring, I constantly would have to dig out my umbrella and rain boots to try and avoid the huge puddles that would accumulate on campus due to the not-so-great drainage system.

2. Blue-light glasses. Especially these past few semesters, I’ve been doing EVERYTHING on my laptop. From writing essays, going to class, and hosting club meetings, everything is virtual, and a lot of campus life may be virtual again next semester. It’s definitely a good idea to invest in a cheap pair of blue-light glasses to protect your eyes from being strained while looking at the screen.

3. Summer clothes, even in winter. Here in Williamsburg, the weather can be unpredictable. One day in February or March could be 45 degrees, and the next day may be 65 and sunny! It’s always good to have a versatile wardrobe.

4. Microwave meals and or ramen. I promise you, even if you like almost any food, there will be days where you absolutely don’t want to eat dining hall food or days where there is nothing you want to eat at any dining hall. This especially goes for my people with food restrictions. It’s also a great option if you want to take advantage of study time and make something quick!

5. A rug! This one is huge. I’m not sure how many times the cleaning facilities clean the floors in between school years, so it’s always nice to have something to stand on that isn’t horribly dirty. Plus, you’re in charge of keeping your dorm room clean during the year, and it’s nice to make the room look a little more cozy.

Major: History/Government Other Involvements: Phi Mu social sorority, Academic Calendar Advisory Committee, Student Leadership Foundation Hobbies: creating dream fashion Pinterest boards, painting canvases, cooking and baking delicious dishes