Charm School for Facebook

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WM chapter.

After reading the twitter etiquette article, I felt compelled to write an article on Facebook etiquette. Over the course of the years I’ve been on Facebook, I have seen and read some pretty interesting things.  And now with the Timeline, you can read that one embarrassing status from 2007, or see that one not-so-great picture from 2009. But with these 5 rules, you won’t be repeating those mistakes again!

1. Hashtags are used only on twitter, not on Facebook. Facebook is not the new twitter.

2. Don’t over personalize your Facebook.  I know Facebook seems like the right place to be real, but it’s actually not. Updating your statuses and complaining about that one ex-boyfriend, your ex-best friends, or those “sluts” does not put you in a good light. Remember – anyone can read what you write on Facebook, so don’t put personal issues all over the web.

3. Don’t make your Facebook a website of inspirational quotes. For example –  “girls need to start searching for guys who have goals & ambitions. Because five years from now “swag” isn’t going to pay the bills.” Yes I know that, that is why I go to college.

4. For those who are dating, engaged, or pregnant –
The friend who is engaged – I’m so happy for you! But seeing updates on your blissful engaged life on planning that marriage every day is a bit too much.
The friend who is pregnant – I love seeing a pregnancy photo. But I don’t want to see photo after photo of your belly. Most of these photos are really only for close family and friends anyway.
The friend who has a great boyfriend – Yes, I know he is amazing. Plus, you love him and want to marry him. I know this because I read about it every day.

5. Taking photos of yourself in the mirror- Explanation not needed; this is not Myspace. Also, inappropriate photos are NOT for Facebook.

Follow these rules, and you won’t have to reminisce about that one horrible photo or status ever again.

I'm a fashion-obsessed Business major at William and Mary.   I'm currently studying abroad at the London College of Fashion!  I am the President of HC W&M!  I love the ocean, working out, and extreme couponing.  This summer I interned with Marie Claire in NYC-- my dream internship!   Get to know me more on my fashion/style blog, "All Dolled Up"--->  www.dylanmaureen.blogspot.com