Campus Couture: 10 Ways to Look More Parisian This Spring

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WM chapter.

I just left the London College of Fashion for a 5-day trip to Paris!  I know, studying abroad sounds really painful.  I quite fancy the effortless, chic style of Paris in comparison to the more deliberately planned-out style of London.  Here are a few things that I have picked up on that you can use back in Williamsburg to look a little more Parisian as spring rolls around:

1. Wispy scarves.   As we all know, springtime in Williamsburg is about as predictable as a hormonal 7th grader.   You never know what you’re going to get.  That’s why a light spring scarf is the perfect accessory for any outfit.   Most of the boutiques in Paris had a great selection of scarves with unique trim.   Paris, however, is moving towards lace or fabric-ball trim and away from the ratty, stringy trim of last summer.
  2. Neck scarves… if you dare.  Neck scarves are becoming popular in Paris, and also in London!  You can find them at top designer stores like Miu Miu, but also at mainstream stores like H&M.   Before attempting the neck-scarf, I would suggest that you first establish a strong Parisian style.  Otherwise you might just look like June Cleaver. 
  3. Think “white” not “black.”  While winter seems to be all about black, the arrival of spring brings with it lots of light, white accents.  Instead of tossing a black boyfriend blazer over your cute spring tops, try a cream or white blazer instead.
  4. Dainty florals.  Florals are big this spring, but I’m not talking about your dad’s tacky Hawaiian shirt.   That screams “American tourist” – not exactly a desirable image in France.  This spring it’s time to lighten up your look with “pretty” floral prints rather than “bold” floral prints.  Check out H&M and J.Crew for that Parisian floral flair. 
  5. Ponytails please.  This shouldn’t be hard for collegiettes™.  In fact, some of us might consider ourselves professional ponytailers.  But, as “twamps,” we know that good is never good enough.  This spring, polish up your ponytail skills.  The Snookie bump is over.  It’s time for a wispier, sophisticated look.  Many women in Paris donned a moderately high, smooth ponytail or a lower ponytail with a deep side-part. 
  6. Where is your waist?  When it comes to jackets and blazers, every boutique in Paris had 1 thing in common – a defined waistline.  Jackets are still structured and smooth over any problem areas (lower abs, anyone?), but they also create an hourglass figure with simple tailoring or a belt or ribbon tie. 
  7. Big, black, bombshell shades.   It’s time to trade in your cheesy gold aviators for some big, black shades.   Women in Paris looked so chic and sophisticated in their black, opaque eyewear… they all looked like celebrities! 
  8. Caramel leather jackets.  Paris is full of yummy, delectable treats… and fashions!  Think about it –light, buttery caramel is much more luxurious than dark, poopy brown.  All of the Parisian boutiques were packed with these jackets in lighter shades of brown.  Dark leather is much too harsh for the summertime, that is, unless you’re wearing leather chaps and riding a Harley Davidson. 
  9. Keds aren’t just for kids.  I was surprised to see so many Keds in Paris.  Women wore Keds or Keds-look-alikes in feminine shades of baby pink, teal, or floral patterns.  These shoes are a great alternative to the Sperry Topsiders that every “twamp” seems to own.  They are also a great segway between winter boots and summer sandals.      
  10. Lighten up your lace.   This season lace is a little less “sex-kitten” and a little more “tea-party.”  Parisian style gives lace a softer, more natural basis than before.  Many boutiques offered white or cream lace dress overlays, tops, or vests.    The creamy lace looks decadent over candy-colored pastels.   

I hope you feel the Parisian inspiration from across the pond!  Until next time, au revoir!

Photos from:
timeenoughfordrums.blogspot.com
women.fashionbeans.com
downandoutchic.blogspot.com
health.ezinemark.com