Campus Celebrity: Bianca Rogers

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WM chapter.

Bianca Rogers is one hell of a cook! I know from sampling some of her delicious dishes that she knows what she’s doing when it comes to baking and preparing more traditional meals. She single handedly made our freshman hall Thanksgiving dinner this year, and between studying and dancing she always finds time to bake something interesting for our floor at least once a week. HerCampus asked this Kinesiology major from South Hill, Virginia why she loves cooking.  

HC: How did you first get interested in cooking/baking?
Bianca: My interest first started growing up watching my mom cook. I also used to cater, so I have grown up around my food my whole life. I used to watch the Food Network all the time! I loved watching them create huge beautiful cakes. I love food and I love cooking with my mom.

HC: Do you have a favorite dish to make?
Bianca: I have two favorite dishes I like to make. The first is fried oreos, and the second is oreo cheesecake cupcakes because I get to put cheesecake and oreos inside the cupcakes. My favorite part of cooking overall is decorating cakes.

HC: What was on the menu for this thanksgiving?
Bianca: I had a huge menu planned — turkey, stuffing, gravy, cranberry sauce, mac and cheese, string beans, mashed potatoes, rolls, greek cornbread, two kinds of sweet potato casserole — one with pecans and one with marshmallows, and a chocolate mousse cake.

HC: Do you have a favorite cooking outfit?
Bianca: I don’t really have a favorite cooking outfit. I usually throw on a pair of shorts and I always put on my old red YMCA summer camp shirt from sixth grade.

HC: What is your favorite dish to eat?
Bianca: My favorite dish to eat . . . wow that’s a hard decision. I have so many favorites. I guess I would have to say fried oreos, fun to make and fun to eat!

HC: Any advice for college students cooking for themselves? (or any shopping hints?)
Bianca: One crucial tip is to make a list. I have learned that if you don’t write it down, you are bound to forget something. I would also say do not necessarily go by the times the packages give you. Use your own judgement. Sometimes it takes longer than the directions say, and when baking, if the oven is really hot, it may not take as long for cookies, cakes, and cupcakes. Never leave your food unattended, especially if it is close to being done because one second can be all it takes for something to burn. Always use toothpicks for cakes and cupcakes to make sure the center is done, and always let cakes cool completely before trying to remove them from the pan.

Why did Alex Court choose Bianca as a Campus Celebrity?
“I really wanted to feature Bianca Rogers as a Campus Celebrity because I want to show campus how much she means to her friends who enjoy her cooking. She doesn’t have any classes on Fridays so she spends it baking yummy treats for us when she could be using it for her own benefit.”

Alexandra is a Junior at The College of William and Mary and has been a huge supporter of the Her Campus team since her Freshman year. She has been a Chapter Adviser and budget coordinator, however her favorite job has been contributing articles to the site. Among writing, her other hobbies include dancing, playing the viola, trying out new sports with her IM team, organizing social events for her sorority, and of course-storytelling. Alex is known to be as fun and feisty as her leopard print wardrobe.
I'm a fashion-obsessed Business major at William and Mary.   I'm currently studying abroad at the London College of Fashion!  I am the President of HC W&M!  I love the ocean, working out, and extreme couponing.  This summer I interned with Marie Claire in NYC-- my dream internship!   Get to know me more on my fashion/style blog, "All Dolled Up"--->  www.dylanmaureen.blogspot.com