Battle of the Olympians : Michael Phelps versus Ryan Lochte

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WM chapter.

Who doesn’t love a shirtless, chiseled guy, who is a famous Olympian on top of his gorgeous looks?! With the Olympic trials underway and the big event right around the corner, I have been glued to the television screen. Not only because I am a die-hard sports fan and former competitive swimmer, but also because I have great incentive to check out the two top rivaling swimmers looking good and doing what they do best. Michael Phelps and Ryan Lochte are both hotties, but which one gets your vote?

Michael Phelps

Performance:
Michael Phelps is one of the most famous Olympic athletes as he has won more medals than any other athlete at both the Athens and Beijing Olympic games. He has a whopping grand total of 16 medals: six gold and two bronze at Athens in 2004 and eight gold in Beijing in 2008. Impressive! On top of his unprecedented Olympic success, he has won numerous international awards and titles. He excels across the board in the individual medley, freestyle, and butterfly events. After the 2008 Summer Olympics, he showed how much of a go-getter he is by starting the Michael Phelps Foundation, a philanthropic organization that focuses on growing the sport of swimming and promoting healthier lifestyles.

Physique:
Phelps is a hot commodity for sure. He fits the tall, dark and handsome bill. Although he he does not have a modelesque face, his unique features work in a cute nerd kind of way, giving him that boy-next-door type of look. He has a quirky, slightly crooked smile which is an imperfection that makes him all the more attractive because its characteristic of him only. He resides just a couple of hours away from William and Mary as he is from Baltimore, Maryland. If you are more interested in a “bad” boy, he’s your guy. He has made news for his past ordeals with the legal system. Take it, as you will… He is single and ready to mingle (after the Olympics have taken place). Does this 27 year-old piece of eye candy fit your bill?

Ryan Lochte

Performance:
This swimming stud is an Olympic medalist with a grand total of three gold, two silver and one bronze medal that he has won throughout his athletic career. He is known for excelling in the freestyle stroke, as he holds the world record in the 200-meter individual medley (both long and short course) and the 400-meter individual medley. His prowess has earned him the World Swimmer of the Year Award and the American Swimmer of the Year twice.

Physique:
As for Ryan’s looks, he has so much going for him in my opinion. This New York transplant  has a tall and slender 6”2’ bod with washboard abs, making him a chick magnet. He has blue eyes, dark hair and even dimples to accentuate his killer smile. How could you not resist?! I have great news for all of you single ladies! He is flying solo! For those of you who like an older man, he is a 27 year-old hottie as well! To top it all off, Ryan is one of Ralph Lauren’s 2012 ambassadors, as he has model credentials to flaunt both inside and now outside of the pool.

Both guys are great picks, but whom will you be rooting for in London?

Harper is a junior at the College of William and Mary, majoring in Psychology and minoring in Marketing. A DC-Area native, she serves as Co-President at Her Campus William and Mary. She spends her summers interning in Marketing. This past summer was spent in New York City working at OppenheimerFunds as a Digital Strategy Intern, and the year before at Gannett working as a Marketing and Promotions Intern in the Social Commerce Division. She hopes to slowly accomplish a few things on her list of ridiculous dreams including hugging a walrus and voicing a named Disney character in a movie.Blog || LinkedIn || Twitter