This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WM chapter.

As we approach the long awaited warm weather, it is time to shed our heavy oversized sweaters and our beloved leather riding boots for new summer trends. Here’s what you should look for when building your spring and summer wardrobe.

Crop Tops

You cannot ignore the recent crop top craze. Paired with either high waisted shorts for a day at the beach, or a skirt for a night out, crop tops are a perfect pairing for any outfit.

Get these looks from Urban Outfitters and H&M.

Sheer and Lace

The new trend of sheer and lace items is the perfect way to show off your new bikini. We can’t get enough lace-trimmed jean shorts!

You can get all of these tops from Urban Outfitters.

High-Waisted Swimsuits

These are the perfect way to hide any extra pounds gained during winter hibernation, and are a lovely nod towards retro fashion. A high-waisted swimsuit is a must for a summer spent at the beach.

You can get all of these swimsuits from J. Crew

Bold Prints and Florals

Floral prints are a great way to show off your inner flower child. Contrastingly, bold, neon prints are the perfect way to show off your inner wild child.

Get these bold prints from Urban Outfitters, H&M, and J. Crew.

Tea Length Skirts

Delicate and modern, the tea length skirt is great for a Saturday garden party, or just a classy brunch with your girlfriends.

Get these beautiful skirts from J. Crew.

Pastels

Pastels are the perfect pairing for a summer beach tan; they’ll make all of your time spent in the sun look ten times better.

You can get all of these looks from J. Crew.

The Button-Up

As a nod to a more masculine and powerful look, button-up shirts are the way to go, and are perfect for those summer job interviews.

Shift Blouse

With the rise in popularity of the shift dress, shift blouses were bound to become a new trend. Pair with a bold statement necklace for a clean and classy look for summer.

Get these looks from J. Crew, H&M, and Urban Outfitters.

Kimonos

The perfect way to add flair to an otherwise simple outfit, a kimono can add a beautiful and soft look without much effort.

I am a Freshman at The College of William and Mary. I am a hopeful Marketing major and French minor. I love pea coats and the color mauve!