7 Steps to a Perfect DIY French Manicure

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WM chapter.

As collegiettes, it’s fair to say that we’re all on pretty strict budgets, and that sticking to it is often difficult at best. I’m no different; manicures simply are not at the top of my priority list, and unfortunately I don’t have a steady hand with nail polish. My skill level is amateur at best, which is why I love the DIY French Manicure. The polish is pale, easy to correct if you make a mistake, and way more forgiving than a bright color. Plus it’s a lovely, classic look for every occasion.

Step 1: Prepare your nails by removing any existing polish, soaking them in soapy water to soften your nail beds, and pushing back your cuticles with an orangewood stick.

Step 2: Clip, shape, and buff your nails.

Step 3: Apply a clear base coat and let dry.

Step 4: Using a white polish of your choice (I use NYC’s French White Tip), paint the tips of your nails by starting 2/3rds of the way up from the base of the nail base and dragging the brush upwards. Apply a second coat if desired, providing for adequate dry time.

Step 5: To remove excess polish and achieve your desired shape, use a small eye shadow brush (try E.L.F. from your local Target, $3) dipped in nail polish remover. Here, you have two options- (1) Use the brush to make a series of curved swipes back and forth horizontally across your nail. (2) If you are nervous that an unskilled hand will render your French tips less than perfect, slowly and carefully push the brush upwards multiple times, allowing the brush to fan out, achieving a nice curved line. *Warning- the second option is a little more time consuming and requires more patience.

Step 6: Once you’ve achieved your perfectly pretty French tip, apply an opaque topcoat over the entire nail (I used Sugar Daddy by Essie). Apply a second coat if so desired.

Step 7: Apply a clear coat and let dry.

And voila! You’re very own French manicure on a college girl’s budget! With a little patience and some practice, you can have a perfectly groomed, ladylike nails every day of the week.

For more beauty, fashion, and relationship articles by Jessica Hanke, feel free to visit The Weekly Kiss at weeklykiss.blogspot.com.

Harper is a junior at the College of William and Mary, majoring in Psychology and minoring in Marketing. A DC-Area native, she serves as Co-President at Her Campus William and Mary. She spends her summers interning in Marketing. This past summer was spent in New York City working at OppenheimerFunds as a Digital Strategy Intern, and the year before at Gannett working as a Marketing and Promotions Intern in the Social Commerce Division. She hopes to slowly accomplish a few things on her list of ridiculous dreams including hugging a walrus and voicing a named Disney character in a movie.Blog || LinkedIn || Twitter