5 Ways to Survive the Sophomore Slump

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WM chapter.

Everyone knows the clichés of college: the freshman 15, the sophomore slump, junior year sucks, suffering senioritis and dread of the real world. Well, I’m currently in what I feel like is the sophomore slump. No longer the youngest on campus, it feels like freshmen are taking over…wait, I have to pick a major at the end of this year?? I’m not a perpetually sad person. I love hanging out with friends, and am pretty content most of the time, but every few days, this uncomfortable and sad feeling keeps taking over. I know college flies by quickly, so I’ve been working on climbing over this obstacle that is the beginning of my 2nd year, and making the best of it. So if you’re like me, and going through a similar situation, maybe you can try some of these tips! (I can’t guarantee anything; I just know it’s helping me.)

1. Exercise: I didn’t realize until I came to college how important physical activity was for my health (physically, as well as mentally). Freshman year came and went, and I had yet to develop a good exercise routine. Clearly, my body changed some. Where was the leg muscle tone I had built up from years of running and playing sports in high school? I guess it got lost somewhere between the ice cream from the Caf and Chanello’s deliveries on the weekends. That’s why this summer I knew I had to change. Going to the gym everyday became my 2nd job. I am now addicted to my morning gym excursions. Keeping this up is allowing me to stay as positive as possible about my body image throughout the fall and spring semester. Even if
you don’t go every day, try to do something physically stimulating 3 times a week. I promise it’ll help!

2. Talking: This sounds pretty simple, but it was actually the most difficult thing for me to do. Luckily, I’m extremely close with my parents, and call them all the time. The unconditional love and comfort I receive from both my mom and dad help me get through the rough days. As much as chatting with my parents helps, it isn’t enough.  I’m not around them 24/7; I live, study, eat, and socialize with my friends. I hate feeling vulnerable, so it took me a while to let my friends know what I was dealing with. I actually didn’t even tell them. Two of my best friends could sense I wasn’t okay, and questioned me about. It was difficult to explain how I was feeling/why I felt that way. They were fantastic though. Patiently listening and not judging me was what I really needed. Now, on the days when the sad feeling sneaks in, and a phone call home doesn’t make everything better, just being around genuine people who love me for me usually does the trick.

3. Try something new: As a freshman last year, I was just trying to survive. I joined a sorority, but that’s basically all I was involved in. Coming into sophomore year, my life seemed empty. Yes, I have friends, a decent GPA, and my social life is a blast, but I just felt I wasn’t taking advantage of the countless opportunities here at William & Mary. That’s when I found HerCampus. I love writing and I love talking about my college life. This was perfect. Getting involved with this organization has given me an outlet to express myself in ways I wasn’t able to before. Not only does this allow me to get more involved, it gives me something to be passionate about, a factor that was not only missing from my sophomore year, but from my college life in general.

4. Get off campus: For me, one of the best parts about sophomore year is the fact that I have my car here. The campus can become claustrophobic at times. Seeing the same people, walking the same path to classes… it makes me a little insane sometimes. Getting off-campus is the perfect solution when you feel overwhelmed and stressed. Sometimes even a quick trip to Target or Starbucks can make a world of difference. You realize that there are things outside of our bubble, and how lucky you are to attend such an amazing school.

5.  Hang out with yourself: As weird as it is not to be a freshman, sophomore year does have its perks. For instance, you realize just how many people you do know. Walking into parties rarely feels awkward anymore. Introducing freshmen to my friends, personally, makes me feel kind of cool (as lame as that sounds). Constantly
being around people, however, drains me out. At the beginning of the year, I rarely had time to myself, and this definitely added to the depressing feeling. I discovered that laying in my bed, doing errands by myself, or just walking around campus alone makes me appreciate my friends and peers more when I am around them.

So, if you’re feeling like this academic year isn’t quite living up to your expectations, give one of my tips a try, and focus on the good parts about being a sophomore. It can’t hurt. Turn a sophomore slump (or any kind of slump) into an unforgettable and incredible year at William & Mary!

Lydia is a senior at the College of William & Mary. She is an American Studies major with a Psychology minor.  Lydia is the Editor-in-Chief for Her Campus: William & Mary, maintains an active role in her sorority, and works at a frozen yogurt shop. This summer Lydia was an editorial intern at The Daily Meal in New York City. 
I'm a fashion-obsessed Business major at William and Mary.   I'm currently studying abroad at the London College of Fashion!  I am the President of HC W&M!  I love the ocean, working out, and extreme couponing.  This summer I interned with Marie Claire in NYC-- my dream internship!   Get to know me more on my fashion/style blog, "All Dolled Up"--->  www.dylanmaureen.blogspot.com