5 Ways to Survive Being Gluten-Free at William and Mary

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WM chapter.

Gluten-free. It is a buzzword you just can’t escape nowadays. Maybe you read about it in a magazine. Maybe one of your closest friends can’t eat pizza, pasta, and most other glorious carbs. Or maybe you, like me, are all too familiar with gluten and curse its very existence. But, what exactly is gluten? Gluten is a protein present in cereal grains, especially wheat. If you are gluten–free (or, for some bizarre reason, want to be) and are struggling to find enjoyable options that offer variety at college, let me share a few things I have learned:

1. Mix up your salad!You, as a gluten-free girl, are probably sick of salad. You probably eat it at least once a day. So why am I even bringing it up? Because although the thought of eating salad again might be sickening, salad is a perfect back up in case you can’t eat anything else being served. Salad doesn’t have to be boring, disgusting or repetitive. Here is the solution: nix the lettuce. Lettuce is a boring food to begin with. No matter what you put in your salad, eating the same food every day will make your meal mundane. I try to make as many different combinations as possible with what is available at the salad bar. One day try tomatoes, peppers, and mushrooms. The next day try chickpeas, baby corn, cucumbers and carrots. Be creative!
  2.  Peanut butter and fruit.This is my saving grace. Combine this classic snack with one of the “regular” options being served to get all the nutrients you need without being left hungry and unsatisfied! Are they serving broccoli, rice and breaded chicken? Just take the broccoli and rice and combine it with peanut butter and an apple to create a balanced and delicious gluten-free meal. You can substitute it for anything to make sure you get protein, healthy fat and all the nutrients that fruits can give you!
  3. Eat eggs for breakfast.When you think of breakfast images of pastries, baguettes and French toast come to mind. Most breakfast foods contain gluten. Except eggs. The good news? Eggs are great for you! Especially in comparison to a sugary breakfast pastry. Each dining hall at W&M serves eggs for breakfast, usually in various styles. Eggs offer protein, so you wouldn’t get hungry in class, and are positively delicious.
  4. Keep snacks in your room.This is an obvious one, I know. But I am using this as a plug for my gluten-free favorite snacks, which, if you haven’t already, you should try! I would recommend EnviorKidz Organic Peanut Butter Panda Puffs, which are available at Whole Foods as well as online. Also, if you need food on the run, I would recommend both Think Thin bars and KIND bars. Both come in a variety of different flavors and are completely gluten-free.
  5. Explore the outside world. In Williamsburg we are gifted with countless restaurants close to campus. Many of these restaurants offer choices that are gluten-free. Aroma’s, Blue Talon and the Crust all offer delicious salads as well as some great gluten-free options. You just have to ask! In addition to being a college student favorite, Chipotle also offers multiple choices for the gluten deprived that taste great! The burrito bowl is especially good!

That’s all folks. I hope this helps! Do you have any tips on surviving being gluten-free on campus? Leave a comment below. We’d love to hear!

I'm a fashion-obsessed Business major at William and Mary.   I'm currently studying abroad at the London College of Fashion!  I am the President of HC W&M!  I love the ocean, working out, and extreme couponing.  This summer I interned with Marie Claire in NYC-- my dream internship!   Get to know me more on my fashion/style blog, "All Dolled Up"--->  www.dylanmaureen.blogspot.com