5 Ways to Pack for a Week in a Carry On

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WM chapter.

It’s happened to the best of us. You’ve booked the perfect place to stay, picked out all the cutest outfits, and have your passport up to date–and then you realize that the airline charges to check a bag. How in the world are you going to kill it on a week long vacay with only a carry on? Moral of the story: Keep it Simple Stupid. Pack the essentials and make it happen.

Plan Ahead

The worst thing you can do when trying to pack efficiently is wait until minutes before leaving to prep your bag. You’ll forget the essentials, throw in too many hats and shoes, and find yourself in a mess. By thinking ahead about your trip, you can insure you have the absolute essentials (bras and panties—and bikinis!), and strategically make space for all of your goodies. Giving yourself time to pack allows you to pack more effectively and maximize your space.

Keep Shoes to A Minimum

One of the biggest packing mistakes is the excessive amount of shoes we pack and never wear, or even just wear once. When thinking about conserving space, think realistically about the shoes you will need (Hint: you don’t need the 5 different pairs of nude sandal-wedges). A pair of flip-flops are essential, a pair of running shoes if your Spring Break includes activities, and a pair of nice sandals or wedges are all you will really need.

Pack Mix & Match-able Outfits

This is the Holy Grail of packing tricks. When trying to dress for 6 days in roughly 6 inches of square space, it is essential that outfits can be rearranged to be new while optimizing space. That pair of white denim shorts works great with a bikini top and see-through tank, but it also looks great with a black blouse, wedges and a necklace for a nice dinner out. Plan pieces that can be worked into different outfits so you feel like you have options without packing every article of clothing you own. 

Forget the Liquids

Friends are always paying the extra $25 (or more!) to check their bags so they can bring and entire bottle of shampoo, conditioner, body lotion, etc. With less than the $25 (or more) you would spend checking a bag, you can pick up all of those essentials—and more!—at a local Target or corner store, plus there is no risk of leaking in your bag! Bonus points if you’re going away with a group and can team up and share a bottle of shampoo or conditioner for the few days you’re away on vacation!

Keep it Realistic

If you’re going to PCB for the pool parties and never-ending clubbing, are you really going to hit the gym every day? Consider leaving your gym gear at home. If you’re going on a low-key getaway with some friends, are you really going to hit the hottest clubs every night? Consider leaving those 5 inch stilettos at home. More important than packing clothes and shoes to wear again, is to pack shoes and clothes that you’ll actually wear at all. While we love to be optimistic about our vacay, when packing light its time to be realistic about your plans, and only include the things that will actually get used. 

Born and raised in Southern California. Loving the East Coast.