4 Ways to Transition Your Winter Wardrobe into Spring

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WM chapter.

1. Add color. Most people stick to black and neutrals for everyday winter wear. Spring is all about pastels and bold colors, though! Color can be powerful even when added in small doses.  Try incorporating accent colors into your outfits through the use of bracelets, scarves, flats, or whatever else floats your boat! If you are more of an out-there person, make your whole look pop by sporting a brightly colored dress and a contrastingly neon nail polish. If you don’t want to go so bold with your look, try wearing pastels. They’re not as bright and are an easier way to re-introduce color back into your daily outfits.
  2. Keep wearing your winter essentials. It’s perfectly fine to pretend it’s spring in February, so long as you’re still keeping yourself warm. You can play around with different spring trends while still wearing all of those winter layers. Don’t abandon your tights! Wearing white tights keeps your look fresh, but still warm. Wear your favorite army jacket with a flowy skirt and a neon beanie, or try pairing a patterned dress with over-the-knee, combat, or riding boots.
  3. Play with textures and patterns. Feel like mixing it up a bit? Sneak some polka dots, stripes, or plaid into your ensemble. You probably have some sequined pieces left over from New Year’s Eve, so why not wear them again? A sequined tank under a knit cardigan gives you a playful yet winter-appropriate look. Printed or textured leggings are all the rage this winter. Pair velvet leggings with a sheer lace blouse and your look is comfortable AND cute.
  4. Layer, layer, layer! The months of February, March, and April can feature some very indecisive weather. What do you do if you’ve got your flannel on for that cold-weather morning and then the sun pops out midday? Well, of course you’ve got your layers on. Tights and shorts are a great option; you can always take the tights off if the day turns exceptionally warm. Scarves are essential to this, though! Wear one during that 70-degree day; then, wrap it around a few more times for the chilly night. A chambray shirt over a thin tee over a camisole is another great pairing when you know there’s erratic weather ahead. Pull on your ankle boots (which can be worn in all seasons) over some jeans or with a printed skirt, and you’re good to go!

Harper is a junior at the College of William and Mary, majoring in Psychology and minoring in Marketing. A DC-Area native, she serves as Co-President at Her Campus William and Mary. She spends her summers interning in Marketing. This past summer was spent in New York City working at OppenheimerFunds as a Digital Strategy Intern, and the year before at Gannett working as a Marketing and Promotions Intern in the Social Commerce Division. She hopes to slowly accomplish a few things on her list of ridiculous dreams including hugging a walrus and voicing a named Disney character in a movie.Blog || LinkedIn || Twitter