10 Things You Should Know About ‘The Hunger Games’

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WM chapter.
  1. The first novel in the series was published on September 18, 2008, and the series has over 23.5 million copies in print.

2. The book series and movie follows Katniss Everdeen, a girl forced to represent District 12 and compete in the Hunger Games, a reality TV show in which 24 teenagers fight to the death in an arena.
  3. Katniss Everdeen, is played by the beautiful Jennifer Lawrence (my girl crush of over a year), is the girl tribute of the Games from District 12, one of the 13 original districts of Panem, ruled by the Capitol. Dedicated fans of the series were in uproar when Jennifer was cast, saying she was too tall, too busty, too blonde, too old, too pretty, etc. I, however, believe Jennifer perfectly embodies Katniss’s strength, determination, loyalty, and family love. We saw this in her powerful role in last year’s “Winter’s Bone,” which earned her an Oscar nom for Best Actress. You may also know her as Mystique/Raven in “X-Men: First Class.”
  4.  The Hunger Games trilogy may have been inspired by the very similar story in the Japanese movie “Battle Royale.” The incredibly violent 2000 film follows a class of teenage students forced by the government to compete in a three-day game, and there is only one winner.
  5. Katniss’s best friend at home in District 12 is Gale Hawthorne, played by Aussie stud Liam Hemsworth. HOT. He is also very attractive and good-looking. Fun Fact: Those in movie business have been known to call him handsome and really hot. He is tall, too. Also, he is attractive. I am still a little bitter that he is still dating Miley and not ME.
  6. The audience will be using their hankies during several scenes in the movie, so be prepared. I know I will be bawling during the Reaping, Peeta’s interview, anytime Rue or Prim is onscreen, and in the final hovercraft scene. I think water-proof mascara would be a good choice for any die-hard fan.
  7. Peeta Mellark, the boy tribute of District 12, makes up the third member of the love triangle in the trilogy. He has been impeccably cast to be played by Josh Hutcherson, who you know from “The Bridge to Terabithia,” “Journey to the Center of the Earth,” and “The Kids Are All Right.” Josh and Peeta have a lot in common: have rural upbringings (both Josh and Jennifer are from Kentucky), lots of charisma, a great smile, and deep rooted values, enjoy baking, and have stolen my heart.
  8. The rest of the cast is made up of some very prestigious actors, including Woody Harrelson as Haymitch, the drunken coach for District 12; Elizabeth Banks as Effie Trinket, the District 12 “ambassador” during the Games and the character you love to hate; Lenny Kravitz as Cinna, Katniss’s stylist and closest friend during the public appearances; and Donald Southerland as President Snow, the icy, autocratic, psychopathic ruler of Panem.
  9. “Hunger Games” is heating it up in advanced ticket sales, beating out “Twilight” for the most tickets pre-ordered for a film. Over 1,200 screens are sold out across the country for the midnight premiere and “Hunger Games” tickets make up 92% of all tickets bought online on Fandango.
  10. “The Hunger Games” movie comes out on Friday, March 23. If you have not read the books already, READ THEM. My whole family has and it gives us something to geek out about together.

Happy Hunger Games, and may the odds be ever in your favor!

I'm a fashion-obsessed Business major at William and Mary.   I'm currently studying abroad at the London College of Fashion!  I am the President of HC W&M!  I love the ocean, working out, and extreme couponing.  This summer I interned with Marie Claire in NYC-- my dream internship!   Get to know me more on my fashion/style blog, "All Dolled Up"--->  www.dylanmaureen.blogspot.com