10 Clothing Items Every Girl Should Own

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WM chapter.

Every young woman reaches a point (or two or ten) in her life when she muses while looking at her closet, “I have nothing to wear.” Although this is probably untrue, having ten basic clothing items on which to build the rest of your wardrobe is the best plan. You can add on top of these Top 10 Pieces some personal flair and trends. The equation for the perfect outfit is = 1 basic item + 1 item with pizzazz + neutrals and accessories. Start with these basic items as your launching pad:

Skinny Jeans: Every woman should have one pair of perfectly fitted, plain skinny jeans in a medium to dark wash (most flattering). They can be dressed up or down. They can be preppy, girly, hippie, athletic, sensual, punk, retro, wild, or sophisticated depending on what other items you wear. But there is no denying that a classic pair of skinny blues is always golden. Make sure the pant leg ends at the top of your foot and you can sit down in them without hiking them up to cover your butt. A good pair of jeans is worth an investment, so do not be afraid to shell out a little extra cash on such a versatile item.

Blazer: We no longer live in an age when every college woman needs to own a full business suit, but every woman should own a black, classic cut blazer. They can add sophistication to a basic jeans and tee ensemble or as a cute cover-up for a dress. The blazer often becomes the I-did-not-see-it-coming go-to item in a woman’s wardrobe. Join the party! Like jeans, this item is worth and investment and maybe a little tailoring. The perfect blazer will last you throughout your career, so do not be afraid to spend a little extra dough!

Button-Up: Again, here we borrow from the boys with a traditionally masculine piece. But a button-up will be one of your most versatile pieces. Tuck it into a high-waisted skirt, tie it over a summer dress with the sleeves rolled up, wear it collar-out for a pop of color under a sweater, or simply throw it on with some colored jeans when you are running late for class! Experiment with colors, patterns, fits, and fabrics that flatter you most. (Extra tip: Polo Ralph Lauren is constantly having sales for women’s button-ups. Buy a few to look expensive without going into debt!)

LBD: Pioneered by Coco Chanel, the Little Black Dress has been a staple in every woman’s wardrobe since the Roaring 20s and it is just as essential today as it was a century ago. LBDs are perfect for almost every occasion and can be dressed down with boots and a jean jacket or dressed up with heels and tights. Add a belt or some colorful jewelry for some personality. The classic, ladylike LBD has short or no sleeves, ends just above the knee, and is either A-line or fitted. Very classy! Alternatives include minidresses, long sleeves, lace overlay, etc. There are endless possibilities for the endless amount of occasions you can wear these to. In fact, you will wear them so often, have a few LBDs in different styles and do not be afraid to experiment with new trends!

Black Skirt: The same principles for LBDs apply to black skirts. And, again, I recommend having a few for different occasions. The one to invest the most in is a longer, more sophisticated skirt for business, presentations, and dinners. A light-weight or multiseasonal black skirt of mid-length is super versatile and can be worn anywhere, anytime. I prefer a skirt that hits me right at my waist while my roommate finds hip-hitting skirts to be more flattering for her. Experiment to look your best! The third skirt I recommend, simply because Ke$ha is my spirit animal, is a tight, black bandage skirt, perfect for any party!

Basic Tees: They are comfy. They go with everything. They are universally flattering. They come in every color. They can be worn to the Oscars. They can be worn to the beach. They can be worn with all of the outfits all of the time to all of the events for all of the things.

Cardigan: These wardrobe staples are the perfect, light-weight coverups to go with every outfit! I actually have one in every color and a few in different lengths and styles in black and navy. Cardigans are an easy way to tone down an outfit, add some interest, give a splash of color, or simply keep you warm. They are especially great for travel and tourism!

Black Heels: A pair of plain black pumps will get you far in life. They are one of three important cornerstones in the holy trinity of shoes. Every time you go to a dinner, a show, a formal, a holiday party, or a wedding you will wear these shoes. They can jazz up a jean and blazer look or complement your painstakingly found and captured LBD. You can find really nice, reliable pairs from DSW (their sale section is amazing) or any endless list of other brands. I prefer for mine to be patent for a little extra glitz, but matte is perfect for day business or nighttime parties.

Athletic Shoes: Every Collegiate knows that the fastest way to a healthy mind, body, and spirit is through exercise! Athletic shoes cover a wide range of types, but I recommend everyone own a pair of running shoes. When worn regularly, they should be replaced every 6-8 months. If you regularly go to classes at your local gym, aerobics shoes are also recommended for added ankle support.

Black Flats: You will get so much use out of these. You will wear them everywhere. When you do not know what shoes to wear, you will grab these. They look good with everything. You can throw them on to class in a jiffy or pair them with a formal dress if you do not want to wear heels to an event. They are flawless. They are flawless and I love them.

Best of luck mixing and matching these amazing, timeless pieces. Keep your eyes peeled for  ways that these staples can be both versatile and speak to your personal style.

Gabrielle is a senior at the College of William & Mary and is a biology major with a premed focus. She is President of Her Campus W&M for the 2012-2013 school year, and was formerly a writer and Fashion & Beauty Editor. Other than Her Campus Gabrielle is a member of Delta Gamma, the undergrad student representative for one of W&M's college planning committees, and a brand ambassador for British clothing and lifestyle brand Jack Wills. She loves summering in Nantucket and doing her dog's hair, and her guilty pleasure is watching cheeky British reality show The Only Way Is Essex.