This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

We are back again with the series of World Music Playlist! Yay! We are going to start the fall semester with some music from the United Kingdom (UK). Although they are still figuring out Brexit, that’s not going to stop us from enjoying the wonderful British music. So mate, here are five songs you should check out from the UK.

1. 2002 by Anne-Marie

For some reason, this British song was the hottest summer song in South Korea. Everywhere I went  in Korea, I heard this song blasting on the streets. My friends were surprised I didn’t know this because they thought Anne-Marie was an American singer. This song is a love ballad that has a catchy tune that gets stuck in your head. The chorus of the song has references to some other songs such as “Oops!… I did it again,” ”Bye Bye Bye” and “…Baby One More Time.”  P.S. if you like Ed Sheeran then you will love this song because it was co-written by him. 

2. Take Me Back to London by Ed Sheeran ft Stormzy 

Wow! This song shows a whole other side of Ed Sheeran. Whenever I think of Ed Sheeran, I usually think of pop songs and ballads. It never crossed my mind to think that Ed Sheeran could rap. This just proves that Ed Sheeran is an artist that can cross genres with no problem. This song is still No.1 on UK Billboard Charts. Also, it’s a part of his fourth studio album, No.6 Collaboration Projects. 

3. Be Honest by Jorjia Smith ft Burna Boy

This is Jorija’s first solo since her debut album, Lost and Found. Plus, this song features Burna Boy who is an Afropop artist that is taking the world by storm. Not only does the music have amazing vibes, the music video has amazing aesthetics of the spirit of summer in London. Although summer is over that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t give this song a try. 

4. Ladbroke Grove by AJ Tracey 

AJ Tracey is a British rapper and record producer. The Conducta-produced garage banger was featured on his self titled album. With a sample from Jorija Smith’s “On My Mind,” this song is considered the song of the summer and has peaked on UK Top 20.   

5. Sorry by Joel Corry 

Ever since this song was in Love Island, the old-school style track has been making waves on the Official Single Chart this summer. He took Monsta Boy’s “Sorry” and reworked it with the help of Hayley May. This a good song to start off your morning and get you out of bed with the amazing house banger. 

Check out these amazing songs and put them on your playlist! After all, music is a gateway into another world. 

Cynthia Ubah grew up in Maryland. She is attending University of Wisconsin-Madison pursuing International Studies with a certificate in Global Health and East Asian Studies. She hopes to work and live in South Korea for a few years. If you are looking for someone to watch Korean drama with or listen to Kpop, she is your girl. Her interests are God, cooking, hangout with friends, reading books, learning Korean, and fashion. Check out her blog at https://mylifeinthemoments.wixsite.com/mysite .
Erin Kleber

Wisconsin '21

Erin is majoring in Political Science and Communication Arts, with a certificate in Criminal Justice. She is a proud co-president of HC Wisconsin, and has been a member since her freshman year. When she's not writing or spending time with her HC gang, you can find her reading a good book, spending time up north, or cheering on the Badger football team.