Girl In Snow With Jean Jacket
Girl In Snow With Jean Jacket
Anna Thetard / Her Campus
Wellness

Winter Skin Routine Tips

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

It’s no news winter doesn’t treat your skin well. With the harsh arctic wind and freezing weather, your skin loses moisture and becomes dry, which doesn’t feel comfortable at all. Plus, your face starts to feel scratchy like sandpaper, and you wonder if you need to be slapping a vat of moisturizer every 2 hours just to get a moist feel. The thing is everyone goes through this during the winter. Here are a few tips to help your skin combat the winter weather.

Use Sunscreen Everyday 

Look, I used to be among the group of people that thought you only wear sunscreen in the summer. I mean you don’t see the sun shining very brightly in winter compared to summer. Guess what, you need to use sunscreen in the winter! The same amount of sunscreen you used in the summer you should use in the winter. Why? Well, there are still UV rays in the sky even though you may not see or feel it. 

Use Face/Sheet Mask to Moisturize your skin

Sheet masks are packed with ingredients that can help moisturize your skin. There are so many to choose from. Select a sheet mask that will hydrate your skin and give you a healthy glow during the winter.

Use a moisturizer

We tend to lose a lot of moisture from our face during the winter. Finding a moisturizer that will lock in the moist and protect your skin from the harsh weather is very important. As you are looking for moisturizers, you should consider your skin type. For example, if you have dry skin, consider buying a heavy-duty moisturizer. 

Include a toner 

Toners are used to balance out the ph level on your skin and keep it hydrated. Using a toner will help your skin to easily absorb moisturizing products because the skin will already be prepped. 

Exfoliate

Exfoliating is highly recommended during the winter. It really helps to clear up your pores and remove the dead skin cells. Also, it helps your skin to absorb your moisturizer and other skin products very well. 

If you consider adding one or two of these tips to your skincare routine, you are bound to see a change in your skin. I already use tip #1 and #5 in my routine, and I am seeing the changes already.   

Cynthia Ubah grew up in Maryland. She is attending University of Wisconsin-Madison pursuing International Studies with a certificate in Global Health and East Asian Studies. She hopes to work and live in South Korea for a few years. If you are looking for someone to watch Korean drama with or listen to Kpop, she is your girl. Her interests are God, cooking, hangout with friends, reading books, learning Korean, and fashion. Check out her blog at https://mylifeinthemoments.wixsite.com/mysite .
I am a senior at the greatest university— the University of Wisconsin. I am in the School of Journalism and Mass Communication, double tracking in reporting and strategic communications and earning a certificate in and Digital Studies. I am a lover of dance, hiking, writing for Her Campus, the Badgers and strawberry acais. I am also a president of Her Campus Wisconsin.