Winter, Just a Couple Months Away from Summer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

In case anyone hasn’t noticed the temperature dropping 20 degrees, or those white snow-like things floating in the sky (if you haven’t, you’re spending too much time inside), it is time to face the reality that WINTER IS HERE.

The time of year where most of the songs stuck in your head are ones that involve “Santa” or “Jingle Bells” and daily activity consists of curling up in a the softest blanket you own and sipping on hot coco next to a fire place (if you’re lucky enough to own one of those).

Not me.

And then there’s the stuff that no one remembers. The feeling when you walk outside of the shockingly cold air on your face. The feeling that your mouth, lips, and ears might freeze and break off of your body. That every 5 seconds longer waiting for a traffic light feels like a lifetime and the only way to keep warm if my sticking your face inside your scarf that is so large it should probably be called a neck blanket, which as result prevents you from seeing and or hearing anything that goes on around you…which may come to some as a slight problem.

Yay Winter.

This overly intense desire to only want to lie in bed piled under blankets and watch ABC Family’s “25 Days of Christmas” is perfectly excusable and probably what I plan on doing myself; however, do not get too caught up in this “It’s the holidays and calories don’t count” phase because honey, you’re in for a crude awakening.

Just because it’s cold does not mean you should not and cannot be active. It just means you will need to put away those short shorts and slightly cleavage baring lulu lemon tanks and layer, layer, layer!

Layered clothing will trap warm air keeping your body temperature warmer, regardless of the weather outside. There is also workout clothing made specifically to absorb sweat, which would be a good investment for cold weather workouts because it will keep you more dry and therefore warmer.

Stay hydrated. Although you may not feel yourself sweating, you are still elevating your heart rate and body temperature and therefore need to constantly rehydrating yourself with water and electrolytes. Dehydration can increase your risk of muscle cramps, pulls, and tears so drink water!

If you absolutely cannot stand to be outside, then go to the gym or find a fitness studio that suits you. Madison offers plenty of different options for indoor fitness such a cycling, yoga, and several other studios.

Use your room. Buy some weights and an exercise ball and run some sprints up and down your hall. And if you are concerned what all your neighbors will be thinking, lets face it if you are committed enough to fitness to turn your own hallway into a personal running track, then they all think you’re a nut by now anyways.

Oh yes, Winter time is full of pretty lights, snow angels, and egg-nog lattes, but it is also the time where people tend to get lazy and think because they don’t have to wear bikinis, what they are eating and how active they are is not relevant.

Don’t be that person. Don’t let your progress slip away. Don’t let your health slip away. Under all those layers is still your body and regardless of anyone else who sees that (which is an important factor to account for if this applies to you), you have to see and you have to like it. Treat yourself right; have one fresh baked cookie, or one slice of pumpkin pie; not two or three or the entire tables worth. Run outside or walk two steps outside to get to the gym. Don’t forget that after winter comes spring, and after spring comes summer, and summer equals bikinis.

I’ll just leave you with that.