Life > Experiences

Why You Should Consider Going Abroad for Grad School

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

How to Push Yourself Further on Your Educational Journey

I realized pretty early after starting college that four years of college wasn’t going to be enough. I was taking so many classes that I was interested in, in a wide variety of subject areas and I wanted to keep learning. After studying abroad in Ireland last year, I decided to start looking for schools outside of the United States and applied to a couple programs last semester. This article will be focused around schools in Europe, because that’s where I looked and applied. Here are some of the steps in my thought process as I decided that going to school abroad would be the best fit for me:

It’s Cheaper

College in the United States, at both the undergraduate and graduate levels, is notoriously expensive. I didn’t want to go into debt for a supplementary humanities degree that might not help my job prospects all that much. Programs outside the US are much cheaper. The program I applied to in the Netherlands was only eighteen thousand Euros a year for international students. While this is still expensive, especially compared to what EU students pay, it’s very cheap compared to programs in the US with a $30,000 to $50,000 price tag. Universities in other parts of Europe are even cheaper–in Germany, for example, they’re basically free. Even adding in living expenses, I’d be paying significantly less to study abroad than I would be staying in the country. European schools are also just as good as schools in the US, with many of them rated among the top one hundred in the world, including the two schools I was accepted to.

Many Programs are Offered in English

Programs at European universities outside the UK are also accessible to English speakers. Many programs are available in English, especially STEM programs. At many schools in the Netherlands, where I will be going in the fall, even humanities programs are offered in English and speaking Dutch is not a necessity. I will still be learning some Dutch before I go to make the transition to living in a new country easier, but it’s not required. Obviously in places like the UK and Ireland, there isn’t a language barrier at all.

The Time Commitment is Shorter

Many schools, especially in the UK, offer one year Master’s programs for the same US degree. A year-long commitment saves time and money, especially if you’re not intending to continue onto a PhD but want to have more time to develop your research.

There are Better Travel Opportunities

Have you ever wanted to visit castles in Scotland, churches in Rome or mountains in Switzerland? Going to school in Europe means it’s easier to travel to a range of different countries by boat, train or plane and the distances are much shorter and the tickets are much less expensive. It’s a great way to see more places and meet more people. Since I’ll be studying European history, it’s important for me to be closer to the places that I’m learning about.

It Fosters Independence

When you’re living abroad on your own, you have to trust yourself and your ability to handle situations, whether that’s securing housing, Visa documents or simply arranging your own travel. Living in Ireland really boosted my confidence because I was able to prove to myself that I really could live in a foreign country thousands of miles away from my family and friends and thrive. Now that I’m back in the States, things seem a lot less stressful when I remind myself that I’ve lived abroad on my own.

You’ll have Experience Living Abroad

Living abroad, even for a year, is a great way to broaden your horizons and learn more about the world. You’ll see new perspectives and learn new histories. You’ll also meet people with very different backgrounds and ways of life. You’ll probably also think a little differently about your home culture too. These experiences will help you grow as a person and be more open minded to new ideas and opportunities. 

Living abroad isn’t for everyone. No country is perfect and it can be hard adjusting to a new country and new attitudes, sometimes without a support system. But if you’re looking for a more affordable higher education and the opportunity to expand your horizons, getting a master’s degree in another country is definitely an option to consider.

Sophia Halverson

Wisconsin '23

Sophia is a senior at University of Wisconsin-Madison, majoring in History, English, and International Studies. Outside of school she loves reading, writing, going for walks, and playing with her pets.