Why you should care about social justice within education

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

Social Justice education is for everyone  

Known as the great equalizer, education is the catalyst for children across the world to explore themselves and others within the broader context of the world and the societies it includes. However, promises of equality are far from being satisfied when fundamental injustices exist within school systems every day. As a result, some of the most significant acts of social justice action are needed in our classrooms. With a more diverse student body, effective educational leaders are moving away from traditional approaches to education and becoming more involved in political concerns regarding race, class, gender identity, sexuality, and ability.

Social justice defined within the realm of education plays out in a particular vision, in which there is equitable distribution of resources, and all students and teachers are recognized, kept safe, and treated with respect. However, across the spectrum of schools and their respective opportunities, it’s clear that equitable resource distribution doesn’t always occur. Students at low-income schools lack access to technology, new books, and art and music programs that provide a well-rounded education, whereas students in wealthy communities have access to the most up-to-date academic resources, school counselors, librarians, and other services to help them achieve. Bringing social justice into the classroom brings attention to a wide range of important social issues, including the disparities in suspension rates between black and white students and how current US immigration policy separates families and violates student rights.

There are two types of social justice in education. The first is the extent of equality inside the educational system, as well as social justice in action. Social injustice occurs when circumstances such as wealth, gender, and/or race determine the type of education a person can obtain. Students who aren’t fortunate enough to acquire an education comparable to that of more fortunate students are at a disadvantage. Their ability to earn a certain income may be harmed, affecting access to healthcare, decent housing, and safety. When a society’s educational system isn’t committed to offering equal chances and privileges, it has a detrimental cultural and economic impact. 

The way social justice is taught in schools is the second type of social justice in education. The curriculum is deliberately chosen in a social justice framework to expand students’ worldviews by including new ideas and challenging perspectives. Rather than disregarding real-world concerns such as sexism, racism, poverty, and more, a social justice education framework confronts them and encourages students to think critically. Schools that are committed to social justice in education pay particular attention to the curriculum they use and how it can be used to broaden the minds of their pupils.

Promoting social justice in education takes two forms: in the educational institution and within the classroom. The first step is to create an equal-opportunity educational system. This can be accomplished by employing techniques such as better tracking to determine the economic makeup of students. Schools are better equipped to address issues of inequity when they have a deeper understanding of them. When it comes to identifying students who are struggling and on the verge of dropping out, tracking is crucial. Providing resources for these pupils should be a priority, and tracking can help schools understand how their practices are assisting or hindering these students. 

Parents’ resources can also aid in the implementation of social justice in the educational system. Parents who work long days or speak multiple languages can benefit from programs such as after-school homework clubs and extracurriculars. Programs can also assist students who don’t have sufficient parental support. Scholarships and financial aid could be considered by educational systems so that income doesn’t become a barrier to accessing particular colleges.

When it comes to rebuilding society to be more inclusive, a firm stance against ongoing injustice is necessary. These injustices occur when social and economic power, as well as institutional and cultural validity, is conferred based on a hierarchy of social groups. We can’t properly address issues of unfairness until we truly value diversity.

Katie Wilberding

Wisconsin '25

Katie is currently a freshman at UW-Madison majoring in English and Political Science. When not studying she enjoys reading, painting, writing, and riding horses.