This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

Originally, I was intrigued by this brand because of the adorable packaging. It’s hot pink and pastel pink with pops of white and teal. But then, once I looked at the hair and body products more, I fell in love with them. Now, it’s more important than ever to just step back and care for yourself.

They smell like cake

Hence, “cake” beauty. The hair products all have their own amazing scents that actually stay in your hair. Personally, I use the “Mane Manage’r” and “The Lock Smith” in my hair. They both have unique scents that stay in your hair for days. Along with their hair products, I use their body butter which has many different scents as well. The fragrance smells very natural and different from typical hair or body product.

Affordable

While I was attracted to these products because of their packaging, the price was a solid reason why I considered buying them. Almost all of their products are priced at $8.99 or less! For a place like Walgreens, this is a low price for beauty products. This price is great especially considering these products are ethically sourced.

Accessible

The reason why I was even introduced to this product is that it was offered at Walgreens. I enjoy some products that are only offered online or at Sephora, but it’s always convenient to have your favorite products at a drugstore that you can find in any city. As a busy college student, I like being able to just swing by a Walgreens after class to get a refill of these products. 

These products can be found in the U.S at Amazon, Rite Aid and Walgreens. Soon, they will be found at Ulta. They also are found internationally!

100% Vegan

All of their products are cruelty-free and vegan by PETA’s Beauty Without Bunnie’s standard.

No animal testing

Along with being vegan, they do not test on animals and they do not buy any products that are tested on animals. 

Naturally Luxe

Cake beauty stands by its mission of delivering products with no parabens, phthalates, sulfates or talc. What are these chemicals and why should you avoid them? 

Parabens are a preservative that is used in beauty products to prevent the growth of harmful bacteria. However, studies are still being done to see if paraben usage can cause issues due to it mimicking estrogen. When the body has too much estrogen, it can be linked to breast cancer and reproductive issues. The FDA is continuously researching and publishing studies regarding the use of parabens in beauty products. 

Phthalates in beauty products are similar to parabens. It is still being studied to see the effects that they have on the body. 

Sulfates strip your hair of its natural oils. As a result, leading to it being dry, brittle and in some cases, create an overproduction of oils to make up for a lack of natural ones. 

Talc has been another controversial ingredient after it was found that some forms of it were found to have been causing cancer in court cases against Johnson & Johnson. 

While none of these products are necessarily known to be harmful, they’re ingredients that are good to steer away from. 

Cake Beauty products are something that you need to try this spring season. They offer ethically sourced products at a low price with an amazing scent!

Emily is a senior at the University of Wisconsin - Madison studying Journalism with an emphasis in strategic communications. In her spare time, she loves taking photos, listening to podcasts, and going to art museums around campus. Find her on Instagram instagram.com/emily.ravet!
I am a senior at the greatest university— the University of Wisconsin. I am in the School of Journalism and Mass Communication, double tracking in reporting and strategic communications and earning a certificate in and Digital Studies. I am a lover of dance, hiking, writing for Her Campus, the Badgers and strawberry acais. I am also a president of Her Campus Wisconsin.