This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

Emma Chamberlain has a HOLD over me now

Emma Chamberlain grabs the listeners by offering her advice and knowledge on very normal life topics. With episodes like quality over quantity, growing HURTS and the instagram illusion, Chamberlain talks about anything and everything that people (especially college students) want to hear about. 

Before listening to Anything Goes, my only true exposure to Emma Chamberlain was her summer fashion 2021 YouTube video. I was hoping in the face of millions of microtrends to stay ahead of them and keep classic looks mixed with microtrends so that what I wore over the summer was both cute and would never go out of style. The more wear, the better. In this goal, I stumbled upon Emma Chamberlain’s masterpiece classic of a video. 

How I had not watched anything of hers beforehand is beyond me because I was immediately entranced by her enigma of a personality. She has a natural charisma that is somehow both awkward and confident. Anything Goes encapsulates her natural charm, which gives her a relatable manner. People with this personality are thoroughly kind and captivating. They make everyone feel comfortable around them even when they’re not trying. She makes you feel understood, and that is everything a podcaster needs to capture an audience. Her relatability in Anything Goes is highlighted in the topics she chooses to discuss. Emma Chamberlain is so open and willing to show her personality when talking about anything. As a woman in college in her age group, she captures everything I talk about, everything I want to talk about and even things I am embarrassed to talk about with friends. 

Anything Goes is so refreshing. I feel like all the media I consume is so dramatic and intense, and life amidst a pandemic feels similar. Life as a college student can be a jumbled mess. If you’re in need of some healthy company away from the drama of interacting with others, her podcast is perfect. Anything Goes is about the trials and tribulations of growing into adulthood, and Emma Chamberlain captures a healthy lifestyle and sense of self which young adults so desperately need.

My roommate captured it perfectly when she decided to “romanticize her life” because of Anything Goes. She would go to random places to study for new atmospheres, try different coffee shops to make sure she was getting the best cup of joe Madison could offer and go on random walks around the city when she felt like it. I could see such a visible change in the way she carried herself after Emma inspired her to appreciate the little joys of college life. In conclusion, Anything Goes is a necessity for college students because it teaches us to appreciate what we have and where we are on days that this transitory period of life feels really stressful or depressing. Emma Chamberlain will walk you through that feeling in at least one of her episodes and leave you smiling and appreciative no matter how terrible you feel or how difficult the situation you are in feels. Hear me out: FREE THERAPY!

Libby Lambdin is a junior at the University of Wisconsin-Madison majoring in English on the Literature track and Journalism and Mass Communications on the Strategic Communications Track. She is also getting a certificate in Digital Studies. She is passionate about fashion, culture and period dramas (especially Downton Abbey). In her free time she loves dance, pilates, listening to music and spending time at Lake Mendota with her friends.