This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

Because of the coronavirus, all of my classes transitioned to completely online formats, even my Organic Chemistry Lab. This was definitely not the fall semester I envisioned for my senior year at UW-Madison. A lot of things were cancelled:  football, socializing with friends and celebrating my 21st birthday at a college bar to name a few. Choosing to stay home at my parents house meant I was sacrificing even more of my college experience, but the decision was in favor of not only my physical health but my mental health too. This decision was not easy to make and took a lot of discussion with my parents to come to a conclusion. My pros and cons list was as follows:

Pros:

I am able to walk around my neighborhood without passing or walking next to other people.

I get to see my boyfriend and visit my grandmother (socially distanced) .

I am able to go on adventures, such as going camping, going to wineries and going to not packed outdoor bars (I wouldn’t have had a car on campus).

I get to spend time with my family pets. 

My cat Misty gets to play with my mom’s cat. 

I have control over my exposure and I know exactly where the people I see have been.

I can yell at my parents to be silent or to get off the wifi. 

I can go shopping in areas where cases are lower. 

I am home away from campus where cases are increasing drastically and do not feel the need to constantly worry if I have it or not.

I get to spend time with my parents before they move permanently to Florida.

I have a whole house to walk around in when I need a break versus my bedroom and living room in my apartment. 

Photo by Jornada Produtora on Unsplash

Cons:

I had to leave my campus job that I loved. AKA no income.

I did not find a sublease so I am still paying pricey monthly rent. 

I am not able to see my friends that I miss dearly ( I haven’t seen my college bestie since March) 

My parents can be noisy and so can my neighbors when doing yard work. 

I am not able to participate in the campus events that are still going on. 

I cannot go to the brand new Nick or go to the terrace during my favorite season. 

sticky note that has \"Stay home\" written on it
fahimxyz

What decision would you have made? I am happy with my decision, especially after seeing how the cases have jumped in Madison because of party-goers and irresponsible freshmen. My pros obviously outweighed the cons. I was going to be paying rent either way and I’m much happier at my parents house than I would have been stuck in my apartment 24/7. I know plenty of people who had different situations or had that one in-person class that forced them to live near campus; I am so grateful that is not my case. Even though this is nowhere near the semester I was hoping for, it has given me different opportunities. 

Laura Dirk

Wisconsin '21

Hi! I am a senior at the University of Wisconsin - Madison studying biology. I am crossing my fingers to get into vet school to continue my education and follow my dream! Follow along my rollercoaster of college with me through my articles, learn new tips and tricks, learn from my mistakes, be inspired!
Kate O’Leary

Wisconsin '23

Kate is currently a senior at the University of Wisconsin Madison majoring in Biology, Psychology and Sociology. She is the proud co-president of Her Campus Wisconsin. Kate enjoys indoor cycling, spending time with friends, cheering on the Badgers and making the absolute best crepes ever!