This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

Learn about the traits of being an older sister (from a proud older sister)

Being an older sister comes with a niche set of experiences and challenges that other people may not experience. From helping the younger sibling create their own style to being the second parent, the roles and duties of the oldest sister keep her busy. After looking at some traits that unite most older sisters, I made a list of how to detect an older sister. 

Older sisters are known to be perfectionists. They want everything to be in order and done to the best of their ability. Older siblings are used to having more control over their family and their siblings, and they want control and order to continue throughout life. If you’re shocked by how many hours someone spent working on a simple project, odds are good that they’re an older sister. The attention to detail and the cleanliness of their projects will amaze you. They might also want their things organized in a certain way and do everything in their power to keep them in order. For example, in the kitchen, the dishes will always be clean and put away—and they have to remain in these certain places. Being a perfectionist is one thing that can help identify an older sister in the wild.  

Older sisters are also known as caregivers. This is because they are often responsible for the younger siblings. Often known as the “other mom,” they help advise the younger siblings and can be babysitters when needed. One can detect if someone is a caregiver if they are considered the mom of the friend group. She always has the best snacks and the best advice when needed. She is normally a great listener and loves to hear about everyone’s lives. Not only does this friend normally make the best food, but she also gives the best hugs. If your friend cares for all your other friends and makes you feel comforted, that is a good sign that she is a caregiver, and therefore, you can be even more sure that your friend is an older sister. 

They are also known to be very independent. This independence is sometimes formed due to parental figures focusing more attention on the younger siblings. The older sibling is also often forced to learn and work alone without advice from older siblings. This can be seen in a friend who works alone, goes to the gym alone, and is self-motivated. If you never have to be nervous about where she is and what she is doing, because you know she is fine, there is a good chance she is an independent older sister. 

Though not all older sisters are the same, the traits of perfectionism, independence and being a caregiver can be good signs of an older sister. Now you know that if your friend has good snacks, an organized kitchen, and gives the best advice, you are most likely talking to an older sister.  

A lifelong storyteller with a love for anything outdoors