This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

Read about more ways to make the coldest months of the year more fun

As the weather plummets, we are unable to enjoy the beautiful lakefront, music venues and outdoor activities that bring us Milwaukeeans so much joy in the summer. Warm weather activities such as Bradford Beach beach days, Summerfest shows and Lakeside Colectivo brunches are now all iced over. This can lead people to be bored and for the months to feel very long. Being a Milwaukee resident for the last 10 years, I have been able to find fun activities to make the dreary months way less dreary. Try out the activities I list below to make your winter months a little more enjoyable. 

The first thing to explore is the 3rd Street Market Hall. The 3rd Street Market Hall can be found on Wisconsin Avenue in the basement of a newly renovated office park. This location includes a variety of 15 food vendors, offering food from tacos to sushi. My personal favorite are the doughnuts that are offered at SuperNova Coffee and Doughnuts. The breakfast treats are made fresh and are the perfect thing to warm you up on a cold winter day. Along with great food, there are great activities as well. You can battle your friends in Mario Kart, shuffleboard and top golf. It is easy to spend many fun hours at this location. This is a great place for people of all ages and has activities and food for all. 

Another fun activity that I would recommend in the Milwaukee area is the Red Arrow park. This park is known for their ice skating. You are able to rent skates for a few hours and try out your skills. If ice skating is not for you, there is a lot of seating to enjoy from a distance. While you watch, you are able to treat yourself to Starbucks or other snacks in the area. This is a great place to spend an hour or two listening to music and relaxing. It’s great for people of all ages and can be a fun outside activity in the cold months.

The Milwaukee Art museum is also a great place to spend a winter day. With nearly 25,000 pieces of art to look at throughout the building, there will be plenty of entertainment. Along with the art, there are many large windows to be able to take in the beauty of Lake Michigan in the warmth. Kids can get involved with the art as well the crafts that are set up throughout the basement floor. This is a great mix of creativity, beauty and warmth for your winter day. 

The last thing I would recommend is the Milwaukee Public Museum. One of my favorite things to do in the winter months is to stroll through the “Old Streets of Milwaukee” exhibit. In this exhibit, you take a train back to a fall night in Milwaukee in the 20th century. You are able to look into houses, stores and even make a purchase from an old fashioned candy shop. This is the perfect escape from the weather and your current life as you take a quick time travel. The museum also offers many fun activities such as a butterfly habitat, planetarium and Native American artifacts and displays. There are also many interactive activities to keep friends and families of all age groups entertained. 

Even though the winter months can feel long and not be very enjoyable, Milwaukee has many indoor activities to keep you as well as your friends and family entertained. If you love eating, learning or exploring, there is something for you. 

A lifelong storyteller with a love for anything outdoors