This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

A Guide to Studying Abroad

Studying abroad has always been one of my top priorities during my college experience. Last semester, I finally had the opportunity to study abroad in Rome! I would definitely recommend it to anyone who has the privilege to, and I think Rome was the perfect city to study in. I have five tips that I learned while traveling that I will share with you.

1. Learn the basics of the language.

Learning the basics of the language will not only help you communicate and navigate wherever you are but will also allow you to connect more with the local people. On my first day in Rome, I was confusedly walking by Julius Caesar’s death place looking for the tech store so I could get a SIM card. I ran into a kind old English man who immediately knew I was a lost American and he helped me find the store. He also gave me great advice to learn as much Italian as possible because language is intertwined with culture. This helped me become friends with the cafe owner near my apartment and got me extra cream with my cornetti and cocoa powder on my cappuccino. It was an incredible experience to interact with locals and have them help enrich my experience.

2. Immerse yourself in the culture.

This is the main reason people should study abroad: to become more independent and comfortable in places different than where you come from. I tried to go to as many museums, ancient ruins, restaurants, theaters and other cultural places as possible. Culture is a mix of many things, including food, art and history. Rome had plenty of all three, and I sought out every opportunity. I took cooking classes and went on guided tours to learn more about Roman culture. This made me appreciate the city even more, and I fell in love with trying new things along the way. With culture, you must be respectful because you will encounter things that you may not like. But just because something is different doesn’t mean it’s inherently bad, and you should think before you judge something right away. When abroad, you should take advantage of every opportunity and learn more about where you are. If you can, take classes related to the history and culture of your city.

3. Be safe.

This is very important when in an unfamiliar place. We ran into a few issues that could have been avoided if we had been more proactive and vigilant. It is important to keep track of your belongings and keep them close to you at all times (we had a lost passport, which was costly and a pain to deal with). Also be aware of those around you and do not always assume everyone is being nice—especially at night—and make sure you know emergency numbers for your program. This helped us when someone tried to climb into our apartment. Overall, if you are careful, you can have a safe, fun experience.

4. Try to meet new people.

It is important to meet new people when you study abroad because it will help you gain a greater understanding of those different from yourself. I made many great friends in my program; some go to UW-Madison and others come from all around the US. We even met back up last weekend to go to a football game! Most people go abroad not knowing many people, so it is a great time to put yourself out there and make new friends. I did not make friends with many Italians when abroad, but if you are able, it would be great to make friends with people from other countries.

5. Travel.

When abroad, you will probably be closer to many more countries than you ever are in the US. We took advantage of this by planning weekend trips to 10 different countries and multiple cities in Italy. This helped me learn about many new cultures and see lots of amazing things. Even though things occasionally went wrong, I gained confidence and resilience in getting out of tough situations. I would recommend traveling to places you think you would not visit in the future and do not be afraid to stay in hostels. We took a last-minute trip to Montenegro and not only was it cheap (4€ for 2 nights!), but it was also one of the most beautiful places I have ever been. I think what I learned while traveling will greatly help me when I graduate in the spring and have to figure out how to truly live on my own for the first time.

If you are thinking about studying abroad, I would highly recommend it even if you are nervous or scared. It is an incredible opportunity for learning and growth. You will get to see and experience amazing things and meet new friends for life.

Kathryn Sobota

Wisconsin '23

UW-Madison '23