What to Wear: Holidays

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

The most wonderful time of the year is just around the corner. For us social-butterfly Colliegettes, the fun events of the holiday season can be overshadowed by a plethora of stressors, ranging from what gift to bring for the white elephant exchange to whose NYE party to attend.  One of the most stress inducing parts of the holidays though, can be controlling your budget. While there are no guarantees that you’ll get everything on your wish list, or that you’ll have the perfect new years kiss, finding a great and affordable outfit for every occasion is never out of reach.

Just because the sweater is ugly doesn’t mean your whole outfit has to be. Play up on the colors in the sweater when it comes to the outfit’s other items and accessories to create an exceptional ensemble. It’s doubtful that the sweater you choose to don will be making it out of your closet in between ugly sweater parties, so make practical decisions with the rest of your look. Make sure that the other pieces of the outfit are versatile and can be worn frequently in order to maximize your money spent. 

Sweater $30

Skirt $33

Flats $50

Earrings $38

Lip Gloss $20

Strike a balance in your Christmas attire by mixing soft and comfortable materials with sleek accessories and elegant color combinations. If you’re celebrating Christmas in a geographical location that’s covered in snow a dress might not be the most practical of choices, but pairing it with a pull-over sweater will keep you warm and give the outfit a more relaxed feel. Achieve a festive appearance by adding shiny elements in the right places, like your manicure or details in your shoes. Add these pops of shimmer sparingly in order to avoid looking gaudy. The best part is that these types of accessories are appropriate all year round and you probably already have the perfect finishing touches in your wardrobe.

Dress $34

Sweater $78

Booties $37

Tights $16

Bracelet $21

Nail Polish $20

Eye Shadow $24

Kick off the New Year in statement pieces that can be worn separately throughout the months to come. Explore bold colors and shapes to find a perfect standout look to watch the ball drop and party the night away in. NYE is the perfect opportunity to try any trend or look you’ve been hesitant to attempt all year. You’ll surely look dazzling in a pair of glimmering earrings or a sequin dress. Take the excuse to dress up and run with it!

Romper $50

Shoes $40

Purse $29

Earrings $18

Lip Gloss $21

Ring $20

Looking incredible during the holiday season isn’t unmanageable—Choose versatile pieces of clothing, embrace your accessorizing skills and don’t be afraid to be bold!

Becca Bahrke is a junior at the University of Wisconsin- Madison majoring in Retailing and minoring in Entrepreneurship and Gender & Women Studies. Becca is currently the CC/EIC of Her Campus- Wisconsin, and will continue writing news. Becca's primary hobby is blogging on her tumblr http://beccahasnothingtowear.tumblr.com