Life > Experiences

What the food you eat at the Terrace says about you

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

Are you a frequent eater at the union? Have you ever wondered what the food you eat here says about you? Well if so, then this is for you.

As a UW Madison student, I am assuming you love the terrace and go to it quite regularly (especially if you are a freshman suffering from the dining halls). And as most people do, you probably also favor a certain food item, and if you’re wondering what that says about you, then this is for you!

The terrace is undeniably a UW Madison student’s favorite food, study and hangout spot. When going to eat there, everyone has their own personal preference, and each of those food choices says something different about each individual. 

Here’s what the food you get at the terrace says about you. If I don’t get to your favorite, don’t be offended, it either means one of two things: you’re either irrelevant or a super cool person whose particular taste isn’t ready to be shared with the world just yet!

Daily Scoop

Let’s start with a classic, the Daily Scoop. If you get the Daily Scoop, I can assure you that you’re not a student here. You probably either have family currently living in Madison, or you recently graduated and want to get a nostalgic taste of your college days. Otherwise, you probably have all the classic qualities of a freshman, like wearing a UW – Madison lanyard or not adhering to key freshman etiquette. Now freshmen, including myself, are obsessed with getting ice cream and want to try all of the flavors. But hey, let us live, it’s the only good thing on the meal plan.

Chicken Ceasar Wrap

Whole wheat wrapjpg?width=1024&height=1024&fit=cover&auto=webp

If you get a chicken caesar wrap then you are basic, like obsessed with Brandy Melville and wear black Lululemon leggings everyday to class basic. Now I can’t blame you, it is delicious, however, getting it every single time you go is absurd. The only exception to this is if you get it with a modification like no meat. This makes you a bit different (and better) from the crowd. You probably like trends, but tend to stray away from them. Otherwise, you might like knock-off versions of what’s currently considered basic. You probably buy Brandy Melville-inspired clothes for cheaper on Shein.

Strada Pasta 

If you get Strada pasta, this means that you are a pasta lover. Pasta has always been your favorite food and it always will be. You probably get it multiple times a week too, because hey, pasta is very versatile. What does this mean for you? First, it means that you’re probably one of my best friends, since, apparently, all of my friends are obsessed with pasta. It also means that you are the type of person to obsess over something super easily. Whether it be a boy or food, you find one thing and never want to let it go. So, for others’ sake, please do, because sometimes it really is for the best. 

Strada Pesto Pizza

You have taste. You were brought up in a refined way as a child, and prefer the finer things in life. You also probably have some recent European descent in your family since you prefer a thin crust over a thick crust. That, or you went to Europe once and now see yourself as “European” and constantly talk about your time abroad. 

A Peet’s Coffee Drink 

Lastly, Peet’s. You are from California, specifically the Bay Area. If you’re not from California, then at least the west coast. I have never met anyone that isn’t from any of those places getting Peet’s. Peet’s is a California Bay Area thing, and it always will be. Only those of us from the Bay Area keep Peet’s alive and create its never-ending lines. You also probably can’t let go of things very well, just like you can’t let go of the fact that Peet’s isn’t as big here as it is back home. 

Hopefully, I didn’t offend most of you. If I did, I truly am sorry, but I can’t help that it’s true. And if your favorite terrace food wasn’t mentioned, then please let me know what it is. I’ll tell you what it says about you next time!

Andrea Brehovska

Wisconsin '25

Hey! I am a psychology major with a digital studies and textile and designs certificate at the University of Wisconsin! I am originally from Prague, Czech Republic, but I grew up in the Bay Area, California! I love to travel, explore, and fashion. And my favorite colors are yellow and red!