What it’s Like to Be the Mom of Your Friend Group

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

You’re the first person your friends call when they run into trouble. One call or text from a friend asking for anything sends you running. You’re the most levelheaded in the group. Everyone assumes you’re older than what you actually are. Taking care of your friends has basically become your second job. Nights out with friends becomes a workout because you’re always running around to make sure everyone is okay. If most, or not all, of these apply to you, congratulations, you’re the mom in your friend group. So what is it like to be the mom? Well….

You’re always in charge of directions:

Whether it’s your friends calling because they can’t find their way home, or you are all going somewhere new, you are always in charge of directions. Everyone is perfectly capable of using their phones to look up an address, and yet you are always given the responsibility. You have to lead the pack, and if you get lost the blame instantly falls on you.

You’re the first person they call when they’re sick:

It may be the flu or a broken heart, but either way you’re the person they call. You provide the best TLC when it comes to your friends feeling down and always know the cure: ibuprofen, Benadryl, cough syrup, sprite, chocolate, a good chick flick…

You’re the voice of reason:

You are always the one to provide insight on whether the boy is really worth it or if adding yet another black shirt to the closet is a good idea.

You always provide the snacks:

If you’re having a girl’s night or taking a road trip across the state, you always have snacks ready.

You keep everyone on schedule:

Being late is not an option, so you are your group’s personal watch. If you end up arriving late, it’s most likely your fault.

You carry the team (literally):

There have been quite a few times you’ve had to basically carry your friends home after a long night.

When you’re not being mom, everyone is lost:

The one day you stop being mom everything goes wrong, and you have to repair any and all of the damage that was done when you took the day off.

You remember everything:

Birthdays, family member names, ex-boyfriend stories, favorite party shirt… If someone is wondering anything about your friends, you know it all.

You are actually referred to as mom:

“Okay mom.” “You’re such a mom.” “I didn’t realize my mom came to college with me.” “Mom!” All of these are common phrases you hear on the daily. Half the time you refer to yourself as a mom too.

Though your friends may get sick of your nagging and constant watching out for them, they love you for being their second mom, and you love them for letting you be their mom. Being the mom can be tiring, but at the end of the day you wouldn’t change your role in the group for anything.

I am a senior at the greatest university— the University of Wisconsin. I am in the School of Journalism and Mass Communication, double tracking in reporting and strategic communications and earning a certificate in and Digital Studies. I am a lover of dance, hiking, writing for Her Campus, the Badgers and strawberry acais. I am also a president of Her Campus Wisconsin.