What Guys Don’t Understand About Girls

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

Let me get something out of the way: This article is in no way supposed to discriminate against or throw shade at the male variety.  You guys are fabulous.  It’s just that there are certain traits that you never seem to grasp about girls. 

I’m not saying that you’re not trying to understand what’s going on inside our heads.  I’m sure you’re putting in hella effort, just like I’m sure that we girls are trying and often failing to understand why you act in certain ways, too.  It might not be possible to understand our behaviors and you may find some of them bizarre, but consider this as an educational experience of the mind of a girl. 

1. Starbucks

Okay, guys.  It’s no secret that you smirk every time we mention the “S” word.  I’m sorry? Is it a crime to enjoy a caffeine fix that doesn’t taste like Keurig plastic?

You might not understand why foamy milk, shots of caramel, or matcha are critical to the coffee equation, but it’s delicious and worth the five dollars every time.  Our bank accounts might not thank us, but our taste buds definitely do.  Keep that in mind the next time you make fun of us for supposedly being basic. 

2. Makeup

“You look so tired today.”  “Did you get any sleep?” “You look angry.”  Okay, thank you for hinting at the atrociousness of my natural complexion. This, men, is a huge reason for our wearing makeup.  You made us this way.  Yes, a lot of guys actually claim to prefer a girl who is “naturally” beautiful, without makeup.

Here’s the thing: A lot of the time, this girl is wearing natural-style makeup and worked hard to achieve the look that you lust after. 

As a side note, makeup is fun and a form of art to many of us.  Do not hate on our Urban Decay Naked Palettes or our assortment of lip stains.  They are beautiful and fun to wear.  We are expressing ourselves.  Let us. 

3. Needing to “document” moments on social media

I’m “sincerely” apologetic for the fact that we actually use social media? That’s what it’s there for. Why should we have to justify posting pictures, updating statuses or Snapchatting our friends? It’s not a crime to want to chronicle moments of our lives and look back on them later. I’m sorry that you never got the concept of “social” media.  Look it up.

4. Shopping

I can understand that it might not be natural for you to want to spend your free time in Victoria’s Secret or Urban Outfitters. Shopping isn’t your cup of tea.  That’s fine.  But please respect that we genuinely enjoy going to the mall and take pride in our purchases. Not only is seeking out the perfect bomber or flattering Express jeggings a lovely pastime, but it can be therapeutic on our stressful days (which, may appear to be counter-effective due to the added stress of our bank account numbers dwindling, but just roll with it).  Before you roll your eyes whenever we mention a sale at the mall, keep these things in mind.  

5. Overthinking

There is an unfortunate truth to the stereotype of girls overthinking various aspects of life.  We worry a lot and are largely driven by emotional reasoning.  We are different from you in this regard, and that is not to be frowned upon. Instead of mocking us for overthinking and analyzing even the most seemingly ordinary of aspects, show compassion. Listen, rather than tell us to calm down.  Let us show consideration.  Caring is not a crime, so don’t treat us like criminals. 

Now that these misconceptions have been cleared up, let the understanding and respect of the female brain commence. 

My name is Caroline Szachnowski and I am a writer for the Her Campus University of Wisconsin chapter. I am a junior majoring in creative writing and international studies with the aspiration to be a professional writer and/or editor post graduation. My hobbies other than writing include learning and speaking foreign languages, traveling, reading, frequent shopping binges, going to the beach whenever possible, volunteering, and drinking way too much coffee.
Madison is a senior at the University of Wisconsin pursuing a major in English Literature with minors in Entrepreneurship and Digital Media Studies. Post college, Madison plans to complete her dreams of being the next Anna Wintour. In her free time, Madison enjoys listening to Eric Hutchinson, eating dark chocolate, and FaceTiming her puppies back home. When she isn't online shopping, or watching YouTube bloggers (ie Fleur DeForce), Madison loves exploring the vast UW Campus and all it has to offer! She is very excited to take this next step in her collegiette career as Campus Correspondent and Editor-in-Chief for HC Wisco. On Wisconsin!