Trying to Decide Whether to Study Abroad as an Extremely Indecisive Person

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

If you’re anything like me, then you must get really excited about new opportunities. But that also means that when it comes to making decisions, you turn into a babbling idiot. Whether it be what new show to watch on Netflix; what to eat for dinner; or whether or not I should go to the gym, making decisions is like sticking needles in my eyes. I am the queen of coming up with a list of pros and cons, just to land right back at square one when they all cancel each other out.

So, imagine my horror when I was confronted by the need to make a decision on whether or not to study abroad. As you might have guessed, I have not yet made a decision. But here are some thoughts that have gone through my head during the process:

“Okay, studying abroad would be great. I’d get to meet so many great people and learn about another culture—the experience would be invaluable.”

“Wow, so there are wayyyy more programs than I thought there would be.”

“Should I go to Madagascar? I did a report on Madagascar in fourth grade, that counts for something, right?”

“Let’s be real, I am definitely not adventurous enough to go to Madagascar.”

“Ooh, Paris would be so amaz—never mind, I can’t afford that…”

“Wait, not every course transfers?”

“Applications are due in March?!?”

“I’m not cut out for this, maybe I should drop out of school.”

“But look at all of these amazing pictures everyone is posting on Instagram!”

“There are no advising appointments available until next month??”

“I think I’m just going to sleep on it and decide later.”

It’s an endless cycle! I hope some of you could relate to this, and good luck to everyone trying to make this decision!

Madison is a senior at the University of Wisconsin pursuing a major in English Literature with minors in Entrepreneurship and Digital Media Studies. Post college, Madison plans to complete her dreams of being the next Anna Wintour. In her free time, Madison enjoys listening to Eric Hutchinson, eating dark chocolate, and FaceTiming her puppies back home. When she isn't online shopping, or watching YouTube bloggers (ie Fleur DeForce), Madison loves exploring the vast UW Campus and all it has to offer! She is very excited to take this next step in her collegiette career as Campus Correspondent and Editor-in-Chief for HC Wisco. On Wisconsin!