This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

Music is something that has always been my go to, especially in difficult times. Ever since school started, I have been unable to see my family and my boyfriend as much as I would like to. To help ease my mind and make the time pass by quicker, I spend my time listening to some of my favorite love songs. It makes me think about the people I love, even when I can’t be with them physically. Here is a list of my top five favorite love songs, so far!

“Always Remember Us This Way”

“Always Remember Us This Way” by Lady Gaga has been one of my all time favorite songs since the moment I heard it for the first time during A Star is Born. I instantly added the entire movie soundtrack to my playlist, but this song is one that stands out specifically. Whenever it plays, I can’t help but think about all the wonderful moments in my life that I have shared with the people I love.

“Nobody Else”

“Nobody Else” by Lany is a newer song off of their most recent album, Mama’s Boy. My boyfriend is a huge fan of Lany and is actually the person that introduced me to them. Thanks to him, I have discovered a new band that I not only love, but one that makes me think of him every time I listen to them. “Nobody Else” reminds me that even through long distance, there is no one else I would rather spend my life with.

“Claudia”

The first time I heard “Claudia” by Finneas, I listened to it on repeat. Finneas said he wrote this song the night after his first date with Claudia Sulewski; is that not one of the sweetest things you’ve ever heard? Claudia and Finneas are my relationship goals, which makes this song remind me that true love is always possible to find, especially when you’re least expecting it.

“18”

I could not make a list of my favorite love songs without including a song by my first true loves, One Direction. This song has so much nostalgia that I can’t help but smile every time I hear it play. When I was younger, I fantasized about this song playing at my wedding. To this day, I still can’t get “18” out of my head.

“Run Away”

Something about Ben Platt’s voice brings me to tears. “Run Away” is about his parent’s relationship, which set the tone for what he wants when it comes to love. You might have heard this song on his Netflix series The Politician, however Ben Platt is a musician that you definitely want to check out. “Run Away” makes me think that even in difficult times, love is worth it.

Although I would much rather be seeing my favorite artists in concert with my friends and family, listening to them on my phone will definitely suffice for now. Being so far away from home has been really difficult this year, considering that even when I want to go home, it is not always the safest thing to do. I have always believed that music allows people to connect, so I definitely recommend making the people you care about playlists during these times. It will make you feel closer together, even when you’re miles apart.

Maddie Bergstrom

Wisconsin '23

Maddie Bergstrom is a sophomore at the University of Wisconsin-Madison studying Journalism and Psychology. She enjoys movie nights, listening to music, fashion and spending time with friends.
Kate O’Leary

Wisconsin '23

Kate is currently a senior at the University of Wisconsin Madison majoring in Biology, Psychology and Sociology. She is the proud co-president of Her Campus Wisconsin. Kate enjoys indoor cycling, spending time with friends, cheering on the Badgers and making the absolute best crepes ever!