This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

I don’t know about you, but this cold, winterish weather makes me miss Saturdays when all I had to worry about was my cute tailgate outfit and cheering on the Badgers! Here are five of the best football movies to get you in the mood for the last few weeks of football!

We Are Marshall

This one’s a tearjerker… Based on actual events, We Are Marshall follows the aftermath of a small West Virginia town when their university’s football team was killed in a plane crash. Matthew McConaughey plays the coach that works to rebuild the football program and town. This movie will make you cry, laugh, and cry again. We Are Marshall is definitely one of my favorite sports movies of all time.

Rudy

Rudy is based on a true story about a young man named Rudy (shocking, I know!) whose dream is to play football for Notre Dame. He suffers from dyslexia and is not able to gain a scholarship or admission to the school. Rudy works in a steel mill to save money for tuition and is tutored by his friend until he is prepared for college. This heartwarming movie illustrates the will of humans to achieve your dreams (and it also features a baby Vince Vaughn!)

The Blind Side

Sandra Bullock is a Queen and we STAN. Based on a true story about former Baltimore Ravens offensive tackle, Michael Oher, the movie follows a homeless teen whose life is transformed by a family who takes him in and welcomes him in as one of their own. Oher takes part in a transformation that allows him to realize his strengths in education, compassion, and football.

The Game Plan

This Disney classic reminds us how much we love Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson. This hot-shot football player who lives a carefree life of parties, women, and football is brought shocking news: he has a daughter. The Rock’s character now faces responsibilities such as participating in dance classes, shopping, and taking care of a child, which allows him to reveal a more sensitive side of his life. This movies truly encompasses my 3 favorite F words… Fun, Family, and Football.

Remember the Titans

Featuring Denzel Washington, Ryan Gosling, Hayden Panettiere, and Kate Bosworth, this movie tackles racism and cultural differences, changing the mindsets of both the players and community when black athletes are invited to participate on the football team. Remember the Titans shows how sports can unite people and that teamwork and equality are just as important as talent.

The next time you have a bye-week or when the season ends (insert crying emoji here), sit down and enjoy these classics to feel as if football is still here!

Rachel Hietpas

Wisconsin '20

Rachel is a junior at the University of Wisconsin-Madison. She is double majoring in political science and economics, and hopes to attend law school after her bachelors degree. Her passions include reading, drinking coffee, and dog-watching!
Erin Kleber

Wisconsin '21

Erin is majoring in Political Science and Communication Arts, with a certificate in Criminal Justice. She is a proud co-president of HC Wisconsin, and has been a member since her freshman year. When she's not writing or spending time with her HC gang, you can find her reading a good book, spending time up north, or cheering on the Badger football team.