This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

How I Made the Most of Four Days

Over spring break, I took a short trip to New York City with my mom. Before arriving in the city, I was skeptical if the sights and opportunities in New York could really be appreciated in just four days. While I could spend a year in New York without taking advantage of everything it has to offer, I feel like I was able to get a good sense of the city during my time there. So, here’s what I did in New York City and my recommendations for getting the most out of your trip. 

1. Visited the Met

I’ve long been an art history nerd, so visiting the Metropolitan Museum of Art was an absolute must on my bucket list, and I was not disappointed. I saw some of my favorite pieces, like “Girl before a Mirror” by Pablo Picasso, Andy Warhol’s “Soup Cans” and “The Persistence of Memory” by Salvador Dali. I even saw Van Gogh’s “Starry Night”! It was such a cool experience to walk up to famous paintings that I’d only ever seen in pictures and books. Seeing the original work up close was surreal. There are incredible art museums in every city (as a Wisconsinite, I’m biased towards the Milwaukee Art Museum), but you’d be hard-pressed to find a collection of art in America as iconic and impressive as the Met’s. Anyone planning a trip to New York needs to carve out a considerable amount of time to explore the Met. It’s worth it!

2. Went to the National September 11 Museum

Being born after 9/11, I really didn’t know much about the event in depth, and I was interested in learning more at the National September 11 Museum. The exhibit was incredibly thorough, giving an insight into everything from the minutes leading up to the attack to the voicemails left from passengers on Flight 93. I got the chance to see significant historical artifacts up close, like the staircase that survivors used to escape the building and a fire truck that was crushed by falling debris. I rented an audio tour guide available at the museum (narrated wonderfully by Robert De Niro) that succinctly guided me through the whole exhibit and provided a wealth of information. It was honestly one of the most profound, well-done museums I’ve ever been to, and I think anyone visiting New York should pay a visit. 

3. Saw a Broadway show

As a high school theater kid, deciding to see a Broadway show in New York was pretty much a no-brainer. I went to see the musical “The Book Of Mormon,” and not only was it laugh-out-loud funny, the entire cast was incredibly gifted. There’s something so special about seeing that kind of talent live. Even if musicals aren’t really your thing, New York has a plethora of shows to choose from, musical and non-musical alike. There’s something for everybody on Broadway, even for the most begrudging theater-goer. Besides, there’s no better chance to see a live show than in New York City.

However, the length of Broadway performances (and the ticket prices) aren’t for everyone. If that’s the case, I would recommend eating at Ellen’s Stardust Diner. I loved being able to grab a quick meal while the waiters sang musical theater songs right in front of my table. It was like an abbreviated, yet charming, taste of Broadway. 

4. Walked around the city

My mom and I had originally planned a day to go across the Brooklyn Bridge, but the crowds and strong wind made it a difficult task (hopefully another time!), so we decided to veer from the itinerary and explore downtown.

While the subway has its perks, walking is truly the best option if you want to see more of the city. I had not previously cared much about seeing Wall Street, but we decided to go check it out since we were close. Along the way we got to see the infamous Charging Bull statue, the intricate architecture of the Museum of the American Indian, the stained glass of Trinity Church and the glittering skyscrapers of Manhattan. We even found Battery Park, where we had a clear view of the Statue of Liberty. We ended our mini excursion in Little Italy, where I ate probably the best pizza I’ve ever had. All of this is to say that sometimes the best memories from traveling are the ones you didn’t plan. To anyone going to New York: I recommend setting aside a day to do some wandering. You’ll be surprised at what you can see and do! 

I felt so blessed to go on this trip with my mom (shoutout to Nancy). New York is truly such a rich and beautiful place. I hope I can go back again someday and explore even more of the city.

Priya Kanuru

Wisconsin '26

Priya is a sophomore at UW-Madison studying Political Science and English-Creative Writing.