Top 12 Best Mainstream Pop-Punk Bands of All Time

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

Since the rise of the punk genre in the 80s with bands like The Ramones, popular punk music has found a place in the hearts of many music lovers for its classic nostalgic, teenage angst and rebellion that define the genre, and I am no exception. A self proclaimed “emo/pop-punk junkie”, I’ve been a diehard genre fan since I was seven and listened to “Grow Up” by Simple Plan for the first time. It’s a genre that many of us grew up with, and to this day still brings back memories as we recount our days trying to learn the chords to “American Idiot” on our guitars.  Whether it be jamming out on a long car ride or cranking the volume and crying it out after a heartbreak, the pop-punk genre has something to vibe with no matter what emotion you’re feeling. So, let’s take a trip down memory lane and rank the top 12 best pop-punk bands of all time (plus three honorable new-age mentions)

Green Day

Pioneers of the pop punk genre as we know it today, Green Day should always come up as the #1 mainstream pop punk band of all time. No room for argument. A band that bridges the gap between generations of punk rockers and fans of all genres alike, Green Day has been killing the game since the late 80s, and with a few bumps in the road, are still going hard today! Plus, they have a legit musical based on their album: American Idiot… need I say more?

Top Songs: 
“Basket Case” (1994)“Good Riddance (Time of Your Life)” (1997) and “American Idiot” (2004)

Blink-182

It’s hard for me to even think about pop-punk without immediately thinking of Blink-182. Besides the #1 rank, Blink-182 may just be the biggest name in the pop-punk genre, and it is often referred to as the one of the founding fathers that gave birth to the rise in popularity of the genre. Blink has been a staple of the genre since the early 90s, and continues to put out records that bring us back to our pop-punk days. I had the opportunity to see Blink-182 play the final show of the 25th anniversary Vans Warped Tour on the beach in Atlantic City this past summer, and I even got to crowd surf during “What’s My Age Again?”. It was truly a night I will never, ever forget. Talk about living out my emo dreams!

Top Songs: 
“All The Small Things” (1999)“What’s My Age Again?” (1999) and “I Miss You” (2003)

My Chemical Romance

How can we even talk about the pop-punk genre without mentioning the band that gave us what most consider to be the anthem of the pop-punk genre (*cough* *cough* “Welcome to the Black Parade”)? My Chemical Romance has a classic pop-punk sound all of its own that no other band has been able to imitate since. And let’s be honest, who didn’t cry when they heard MCR was getting back together? People around the world came together to rejoice that day while belting out “Teenagers” at the top of their lungs (or was that just me?). 

Top Songs:
“Welcome to the Black Parade” (2006)“I’m Not Okay (I Promise)” (2004) and “Helena” (2004)

Sum 41

A band that was featured heavily throughout the American Pie franchise soundtracks, it’s no doubt that Sum 41 is a band that definitely peaked in the early-to-mid-2000s. With a handful of hits under their belt, Sum 41 is a band often overlooked on the list of best pop-punk bands, but their contribution to the genre can’t be overlooked. Their grungy, SLC Punk style was very traditional of the early genre, and helped to pave the way for a number of other pop-punk bands over the years. There is no doubt that Sum 41 crashed into the pop-punk scene like a meteor and set the bar for years to come. 

Top Songs:
“In Too Deep” (2001)“Fatlip” (2001) and “Still Waiting” (2002) 

All Time Low

I can’t help but feel biased putting All Time Low as #5, but based on my personal opinion and their discography over the last 15 years, they deserve it. Never once wavering from their pop-punk roots, ATL is pop-punk at its finest. With some of the most recognizable songs (and most prolific openings: *ahem* “Dear Maria”, anyone?) to the mainstream pop-punk name, ATL stays true to their sound as they continue to put out killer albums and sell out shows worldwide. Not only does their music rock, but they are the funniest/sweetest guys ever. I had the privilege of meeting them on their tour for the 10th anniversary of the album Nothing Personal and it might have been the highlight of my life. They also have announced that they will be touring with 5 Seconds of Summer this year, can you say swoon? 

Top Songs: 
“Dear Maria, Count Me In” (2009)“Damned if I Do Ya (Damned If I Don’t)” (2009) and “Six Feet Under the Stars” (2007)

Paramore

A quasi “feminist icon” in the heavily male dominated genre of pop-punk, female lead band Paramore is a gift! Often one of the first bands people think of when they consider the genre, Haley Williams’ voice has become one of the most commonly recognized pop-punk voices of all time, alongside her bright hair colors. With songs about revenge and relationships, Paramore brought the scope of a woman’s world into the perspective of the genre, and continues to do so with hits as recently as 2014. Even to this day, there hasn’t been a female led band as prolific in the genre.

Top Songs: 
“Misery Business” (2007)“Still Into You” (2013) and “crushcrushcrush” (2007)

Good Charlotte

Another band that I’ve had the privilege to see live, Good Charlotte is one of the best examples of the teenage angst so well known to the genre. I’m also pretty sure this band helped to bring mohawks and faux-hawks into mainstream style. Even as they’ve grown to age into the adults they used to complain about in their songs, Good Charlotte still adhere to their title as genre gods and rebellious punks, and has written songs with a number of other artists, including writing the hit song “Amnesia” for 5 Seconds of Summer. 

Top Songs:
“Lifestyles of the Rich & Famous” (2002)“The Anthem” (2003) and “I Don’t Wanna Be In Love (Dance Floor Anthem)” (2007)

Fall Out Boy

Fall Out Boy used to be considered a staple of the pop-punk classic, but has since fallen off the ranks of pop-punk royalty recently. Over the years FOB’s sound has definitely changed to fit more into the category of mainstream pop music, but we can’t forget their beginnings as a classic pop-punk band. Let’s just forget anything after 2010, okay? 

Top Songs: 
“Sugar, We’re Goin’ Down” (2005)“Dance, Dance” (2005) and “Thnks fr th Mmrs” (2007)

Simple Plan

The first band that shaped my future as an avid emo/pop-punk listener, Simple Plan might just embody the teen angst of the early 2000s. Another band that I’ve had the honor of seeing live twice, and meeting at Warped Tour, these guys are not only crazy amazing performers, but also some of the nicest musicians I’ve met! The energy they bring to every performance, even after 20+ years performing is incredible. With songs featured in the Scooby Doo franchise, as well as the first song to feature the word “dick” played uncensored in a song (because of technicality) on the radio, Simple Plan is a classic example of pop-punk. 

Top Songs: 
“Welcome to My Life” (2004)“Addicted” (2002) and “I’m Just a Kid” (2002) 

The Offspring

With a bit harder rock feel and a bit more quirkiness, The Offspring hits at #10 in my ranking. Another band that I had the privilege of seeing live at Warped Tour, The Offspring is still rocking even years after their prime (sorry guys, it’s true). The Offspring is a band that’s been rocking hard for a long time now, and even now they still put on an awesome show! 

Top Songs: 
“Pretty Fly (For a White Guy)” (1998)“Self Esteem” (1994) and “The Kids Aren’t Alright” (1998)

Panic at the Disco

A band that I was hesitant to add to the list, Panic! At the Disco was once considered to be a top tiered pop-punk group, but over the years, the band has strayed from their original genre to fall more in line with the average pop listener. It was a sad day when the emo/punk world lost Brendon Urie to features with Taylor Swift, but we can’t forget the masterpieces they put out before their fall from pop-punk grace. 

Top Songs:
“I Write Sins Not Tragedies” (2006)“Nine in the Afternoon” (2007) and “Lying Is The Most Fun A Girl Can Have Without Taking Her Clothes Off” (2006)

Bowling for Soup

One of the most unique voices and styles in the pop-punk genre belongs to Bowling For Soup, a band that might be most well known for the theme song of kids show Phineas & Ferb. I saw Bowling for Soup play at the 25th anniversary Vans Warped Tour in the summer of 2019 and was blown away by their stage charisma even after all of these years. A band that never takes themselves too seriously, Bowling for Soup made their name by poking fun at mainstream popular culture and consumerism behavior, something that has since stuck around as a common trope in the genre. 

Top Songs:
“1985” (2004)“High School Never Ends” (2006) and “Punk Rock 101” (1999)

Honorable New-Age Mentions

Waterparks: Top Song: “Stupid for You” (2016)Neck Deep: Top Song: “Gold Steps” (2015) and 5 Seconds of Summer (prior to 2018): Top Song: “Good Girls” (2014)

There you have it folks, a comprehensive list of (subjectively) the top 12 best mainstream pop-punk bands of all time, alongside three honorable new-age mentions! While pop-punk may not be considered mainstream anymore, that doesn’t stop the genre from thriving within its devoted audiences. Not only have these pop-punk bands had a lasting impact on the genre itself, but also on the music industry as a whole through the themes of angst and rebellion, shredding guitar solos and unbelievably catchy choruses. Long live the pop-punk genre!

Emma Cooper

Wisconsin '21

Emma is currently a junior studying creative writing and film studies. Emma is originally from the Madison area, and has years of Madison-living wisdom and knowledge to share (like where to find the best pastries! Hint: It's Batch Bakery). When Emma's not in class, you can find her either working out or impulsively buying concert tickets. She's been to over 60 concerts, so if you ever need music recommendations, she's your go-to gal! Emma has a passion for art, fitness, and health/wellness that she can't wait to share with everyone at Her Campus!
I am a senior at the greatest university— the University of Wisconsin. I am in the School of Journalism and Mass Communication, double tracking in reporting and strategic communications and earning a certificate in and Digital Studies. I am a lover of dance, hiking, writing for Her Campus, the Badgers and strawberry acais. I am also a president of Her Campus Wisconsin.