Tips For When You’re Feeling Overwhelmed

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

It only gets better from here…right?

The past few months I have been feeling extremely overwhelmed. It feels like I can’t get a grasp on anything and everything is sneaking up on me at the last minute. All aspects of my life feel like they’re in shambles, and it causes me to feel like I’m not prioritizing anything. Coming back from being abroad, adjusting to school this semester has felt exceptionally difficult. From academics to personal goals to finances to my health, everything feels like it was crashing down because there was too much going on. Lately, I’ve been able to implement some strategies to feel more in control with all the chaos going on around me. Not everything will help or work for everyone but if you’ve been feeling overwhelmed lately, see what you could benefit from adding into your routine. 

1. Reserve time to worry, once it’s done, no more worrying

I was recently told by someone that reserving 2-3 minutes of time to worry can be helpful because it gives you a specific time slot to worry. Once that time slot is over, press the pause button on the worrying and try to move on to more productive thoughts. This is obviously easier said than done but try to move on from thoughts of worry whenever possible because in most cases, worrying won’t benefit you. 

2. Schedule time in your week to just plan or mind dump

Something that has helped me get out of my rut is scheduling 30 minutes a week to sit down, brain dump and plan my whole week. This seems obvious, but when you actually take the time out of your week to brain dump and organize everything, it can be really helpful to feel like you know what’s going on or what to prepare for in the future. For me, this includes planning my meals and groceries, school work and extracurricular activities. However, it can also include other activities if you feel they are needed, like sleeping, studying and working out. Penciling these activities into your weekly plan can help you stick to a routine and get everything you need done for the day because you have a detailed plan telling what you need to do and what is coming next.

3. Remember that not completing something isn’t the end of the world

This is something I often struggle with. I think that if I don’t get something done perfectly and as soon as possible, then everything will be ruined and the world will come crashing down on me. It’s hard to escape this mindset when you are overwhelmed because it seems like everything keeps piling up. To break this cycle, it’s important to remember that nothing is the end of the world. Nothing you don’t complete or turn in will ruin your life. Give yourself some credit for trying the best you can and remember to live a little! 

4. Reserve time to do the things that bring you happiness

When you are overwhelmed, it seems like you have no time to do the things you love anymore and enjoy yourself. However, it is important to reserve time to do the things that make you feel relaxed and happy. Without a little self-care, the overwhelming feeling will only get worse. Life is all about balance, and you can’t expect to get everything done when you don’t reserve a little time to check in on yourself. This doesn’t need to be a major event taking up all of your time. It can be a 15 minute break where you get to do something you love without worrying about other things. 

Being overwhelmed is a tough feeling to go through. It may seem like your plate is only getting fuller and you have no way out. During this time, it’s important to take care of yourself and remind yourself that it is not the end of the world. Nothing and no one is perfect, so remind yourself that you don’t need to be either. Hopefully, these tips will help you get a sense of control back in your life. Everything will pass and tomorrow is a new day! 

Camila Rivero

Wisconsin '24

Hi! My name is Camila Rivero and I was born in raised in Boulder, Colorado. I am now attending the University of Wisconsin-Madison hoping to pursue my degree in strategic communications with a minor in digital studies.