Style > Beauty

Three Best Face Masks for this Winter Weather

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

A guide for the best recommendations to fight the cold weather

In the midwest, the winter season seems never-ending. The constant and prolonged exposure to the cold weather can lead to dull and dry skin. This guide provides some recommendations as to what face masks are good to combat these issues. 

Before coming to college, I didn’t really spend much time on skincare. However, in the past two years of being here, I’ve felt that more than wanting to take care of my skin, it’s something I need to do. The constant feeling of dryness and lack of glow on my skin led me to do some research on face masks I can use weekly to help restore my skin. 

My favorite face mask I’ve been using for the past year is Kiehl’s Avocado Nourishing Hydration Mask. This mask has a thick, creamy consistency and is fragrance-free, which is nice because this texture adds  to the feeling of hydration. This mask consists of avocado fruit extract, avocado oil and evening primrose oil, which are all hydrating agents. After using this mask, my face feels soft and super moisturized. This mask is on the pricier side, but I do think it’s worth it because of the intense hydration it provides as well as the fact that it lasts a long time. 

Another mask I really like is the TonyMoly mask. This brand carries an array of sheet masks, aimed to target many skin concerns. They have masks ranging from acne concerns to hydration. The mask set I really like is the deep hydration kind. The set contains aloe, avocado, watermelon, lavender and coconut masks. My favorite of this set is the aloe one since it feels the most hydrating out of all. Each mask is made with different hydrating agents allowing  you to pick and choose if you want to use a more soothing lavender mask or a refreshing mask like the watermelon one. To add to the soothing and refreshing effect, you can put it in the fridge. 

A mask that I’ve been using for many years now is the Laneige Water Mask. This mask is different from the other two because this is a sleeping mask. It has a gel-like consistency which makes your skin feel super wet after applying it. I like this mask since it’s something I can quickly and easily apply after I do my skincare routine and wake up with glowy skin. Sometimes if my skin is feeling extra dry in the morning, I use a little bit of this mask and mix it in with my moisturizer for the added hydration. I like this mask since it can be used as both a mask in a more generous quantity and a moisturizer in a smaller quantity. One thing I’ve noticed is when I sleep with this mask on, it can make my pillow a little sticky since I sleep on my side. Other than that, I think it’s great and worth the sticky pillow! 

Overall, I’ve had a great experience with these masks and find them great to hydrate my skin in the brutal midwest winters. I usually reach for the Kiehl’s mask when I have more time and need extra hydration. The sheet masks are nice for days when I want my skin to look refreshed, but also have time to lay around and wait since sheet masks are so hard to do anything with. Lastly, I love the Laneige mask for days when I’m looking for a quick, yet effective way to bring moisture to my skin. While these masks are great, I will be on the lookout for more to add variety to my collection!

Hareem Rauf

Wisconsin '25

I'm a sophomore at UW Madison studying Economics.