Coffee Latte Art Honeymoon
Coffee Latte Art Honeymoon
Amy Cho / Spoon
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

How I got out of my comfort zone and started a coffee blog

Coffee has always been a part of my identity. I started drinking it in middle school because I watched my mom drink it every morning and wanted to be just like her. I hated it at first and loaded it up with sugar and cream to tone it down. But I still forced myself to drink it so I could spend time with my mom. This turned into getting Starbucks with my friends after school. Coffee went from being a way to bond with my mom to a way I could bond with my friends too. As I grew up, I found power and identity in coffee. I loved the feelings of studying late at a coffee shop with an espresso, warming up with hot coffee after being out in the cold with friends, and picking up a holiday drink while shopping with my mom. Coffee became an essential part of my routine. It became an excuse to catch up with old friends, and a way to leave my house during quarantine; needless to say, coffee had made its mark on my life.

I transitioned into a serious coffee drinker when I turned 16 and became a Starbucks barista. I worked there for four years, ultimately becoming a manager. I drank more coffee than ever and learned more about it. I began experimenting with different brewing techniques and flavors. I loved being a barista and connecting with people through coffee. My friends and family recognized this and came up to me with questions and suggestions. I often received texts asking for coffee shop recommendations. Then quarantine hit. 

I found myself with an immense amount of free time due to my classes being moved online. I started seeing coffee bloggers on TikTok, and loved how they shared their recipes and recommendations on a public platform. I joked to my roommates that I should become a coffee blogger. They were all on board and urged me to try. I probably wouldn’t have done it if not for quarantine and my newfound free time. One night as we were watching TV, I made my coffee Instagram blog, @coffeewcourt.

I had no intentions to try to become a brand or anything big. I started the account simply as a fun way to engage with my friends and family. I’ve had the account for over a year now and have had the time of my life making it and sharing it with others. I post about coffee shops I go to, coffee recipes I make, and information about the coffee-making process. I stopped being a barista the summer before my junior year of college so I could focus on my internship; however, my blog feels like a way to keep that part of my identity alive. I’ve felt strong in my connection and love for coffee even though I’m no longer a barista.

The point of this story is that I took the power of my interest in coffee and used it to get out of my comfort zone. I decided to put myself out there with no expectations, only wanting to share my passion with others. This is important because it’s cool to be passionate about things. It’s fun to share your hobbies and interests with loved ones, no matter how small or niche or embarrassing. I think it’s easy to feel like nobody cares about what you do in your free time, but that’s not true. My blog has shown me that hobbies are meaningful. They contribute to our identities and connect us with others. I would highly recommend sharing your hobbies, whether through a blog or another format. I also recommend that you believe in yourself and the power of your hobbies and everyday experiences, just like I believe in the power of coffee.

Courtney Shady

Wisconsin '23

Courtney is a senior at the University of Wisconsin-Madison studying psychology, education, and gender and women’s studies. She is from the suburbs of Milwaukee. In her free time, she enjoys drinking coffee, going to concerts, and loves hanging out with friends.